Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got them installed, car is running had no hitches or any snags during the way except for a couple parts they dont tell you that you need when you buy the cams, got the valve covers and timing cover on and the car fired right up, now I notice it has a bit of a surge at idle and dies now and then, engine light came on but Im thinking all of that is a combo of a possible air leak and my O2's needing to be replacedof which I have 8 new O2's sitting in the garage so I will get on that one day soon, also I dont have headers on the car and I estimated about a 20 horse gain at the wheels but my buddy swears I am lowballing that figure......

one question....should I be worried about getting a good tune on it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and after 100k miles on this 99 GT of mine that I have had for 3 years the inside of the motor looked basicly new....one valve guide had a little play in it but I put it all back together even put the used valve cover gaskets back on and no leaks or anything of that nature

·
Registered
702 Posts
how hard was the install? was thinking about doing it myself.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
To get it to run to its best you will have to have a tune.

The ecu cant handle to new cams without a tune .

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the install was cake....the springs would have been 10 times easier if I had taken the heads off the car but they only took about 3 days working about 4 hours a day or less on them...timing them was simple and took about 10 minutes, all you need is a torque wrench, impact gun for the balancer and most nuts and bolts were 8, 10, and 13 mm and a few 15's the balancer was an 18....hardest part of the whole deal for me was changing the springs

as for the tune....I asked in another post could the stock maf be causing the idle issues? the car runs outstanding, I was expecting and claiming 20 or so horse at the wheels but my buddy swears that I am lowballing that number...my car doesnt even have headers yet cant wait to do that and get a tune on it and show these ls1 boys that a 4.6 can be fast without a power adder

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It's possible you got more power then 20 with the cams, but I doubt it on an N/A motor.

Like bill said get the tune. His car was night and day after his tune, especially the idle.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so could I expect to break 300 with headers and a good tune? ultimately my goal is to run 7.90's in the 1/8

·
Registered
702 Posts
do a search on "N/A Horse power" i bet you'll find your answer there.
you say it was easy, is this something i could do in my driveway with the help of my dad. lets say, in a week's time?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would say it depends on what your capabilities are? I co-supervised for a couple of days, and all I can say is get someone to help with the valve springs that has done it before, or pull the heads. Watching, it looked pretty simple, I was unable to be there through all of it, because of work, but he didn't ***** much like when he works on his 65...hehe

I got to drive the car, actually drive it before he did, other than the dying it surprised me. He has 4.30's and the 3000 + was pretty nice. I think the dying may be the IAC, but not sure it did it before just not as often, so we'll see.

Oh yeah Ryan, get the damn headers soon, then worry about the tune....

·
Registered
365 Posts
badazz_65 said:
so could I expect to break 300 with headers and a good tune? ultimately my goal is to run 7.90's in the 1/8
I wouldn't count on it. Tends to need P&P heads to get over the 300 mark. Especially if you have the stock intake.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you are going to do it in the driveway with your day here is how I would do it....take the first day disassembling the whole thing with the heads on and keep the rockers and cap bolts in order, also keep the timing chains in order and especially so that they will go on turning the same direction as they came off...all this is basic.....the second day I would plan on spending on the springs, and the third...I was working on mine for a period of about 2 and a half weeks but was only able to work on it for a couple hours each day and 3 days a week and I work very slow anyhow.......also one of the days was wasted but I could easily see this being a 4 day job with all the correct equipment to start with....when I took it apart I didnt have a spring compressor, also comp cams was reluctant to tell me that there was a spacer I would need for the sprockets and a washer too so both of these slowed me up. I also lost one of the keepers down the fenderwell somewhere and that slowed me up a little because I had to order and chase some down from ford nobody carried them. I found it easier to change the rear springs with the hood off of the car so you might keep that in mind for doing it outside. There are some diagrams and instructions I got from a local dealer that I found helpful for timing it and for the order in which the caps come off and go back on. They had pictures and all the torque specs on them. If you decide to go for it and need any help or advice I'd be glad to help however I can through PM or what have you. Bottom line...if you have about 6 hours a day to work on it then it can be easily finished in a week if you have everything before you start, it all just depends how quickly you get the springs changed because the rest of it is just a matter of a couple hours

·
Registered
702 Posts
cool. i would much rather do it myself, i mean how hard could it be. my dad and brother put an e303 in his 92 5.0 in one day and night. i think my dad and i can do this.
thanks, later

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yeah, actually it looked easier tne a efi 5.0. The only thing was I missed the timing issue. I still think the valve spring issue sucks, are you planning to pull the heads or not?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not that I have ever cracked open an OHC engine before but,,,,,,,
It seems to me that most folks are pretty concerned about pulling the heads off of our engines. I remmebr my 5.0's seemed to have the heads off more than a few times (spring changes, retainer changes.....). Why is it that it seems to be a big deal to pull the heads on anOHC engine? Other than the money involved, is it any different than pulling from a pushrod engine?
Worst case scenario you get to screw in some head studs right?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
GTCam ,the big thing is timing .You dont have just one but TWO cams to time and they have to be exact.

Heads coming off are a piece of cake.EXCEPT if you have head studs then its a headache.

Headstuds are a PITA trying to do it in car.Our head studs\bolts are about 9+ inches long .kinda hard to install in the car and around other stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts