Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
5,161 Posts
Grundy said my car wasn't a show car so they wouldn't insure it. A month after insuring it with someone else I added my second collector car to the stable and added it to the new company. In the next 6-10 months I will add a third collector car to the fleet and add that to the other company. My '93 isn't a show car. That is true. It's also not a crap bag and aside from the white cowl induction hood is all one uniform shiny color. Grundy lost a multiple car account and they can pound rocks now and in the future.

I hear lots of people say good things about them but my experience, several times over 20 years, has been anything but.
Mine isn't a show car. I suspect you reached an inferior agent or the pics of your car didn't resemble a collector's car. I will admit that I'm picky and always buy super clean vehicles. When I insured my current car; it was a bone stock '94 GT.
Why would you try them multiple times?

· Registered
5,161 Posts
I'm going to try Hagerty again this week but Progressive was way cheaper.
I didn't know that Progressive offered classic car insurance. I'll have to check them out.

· Registered
3,125 Posts
Grundy said my car wasn't a show car so they wouldn't insure it. A month after insuring it with someone else I added my second collector car, a 26K mile totally stock 1984 20th Anniversary convertible, to the stable and added it with the new company. In the next 6-10 months I will add a third collector car to the fleet and add that to the other company. My '93 isn't a show car. That is true. It's also not a crap bag and aside from the white cowl induction hood is all one uniform shiny color. Grundy lost a multiple car account, free money as I can only drive one at a time, so they can pound rocks now and in the future.

I hear lots of people say good things about them but my experience, several times over 20 years, has been anything but.
That’s interesting. My car actually has a white hood, but they didn’t say anything about.

Pro tip, send them pics of the car in the garage with the hood up so it’s tough to see what color it is:LOL:

Reactions: fasterthangas

· Registered
5,161 Posts
That’s interesting. My car actually has a white hood, but they didn’t say anything about.

Pro tip, send them pics of the car in the garage with the hood up so it’s tough to see what color it is:LOL:
Lol! It always helps to have a sexy model lay across the hood. :love:

· Registered
5,161 Posts
I just insure it as a regular car and add enough "aftermarket parts coverage" to make up the gap between what Progressive thinks it's worth plus what I think it's worth
That makes sense. I do it so the car doesn't have to go through emissions.

· Registered
929 Posts
I just insure it as a regular car and add enough "aftermarket parts coverage" to make up the gap between what Progressive thinks it's worth plus what I think it's worth
My classic car insurance was about 1/3 of the price of regular car insurance.......
I have had American Collectors for appx 15 years ( NO claims) They sent me a questionaire if I had any other " garage" queens and my 08 BMW was allowed on my classic car policy..
Saved me over $600 a year on that car by itself.....
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
2,175 Posts
All 6 of our mustangs are insured through Grundy. If you need a higher agreed value, receipts and pictures might help get more.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

· Registered
2003 Mustang Cobra
460 Posts
Quoted up the new car... Hagerty said $1,000/year
$532 is medical related

Progressive (who I insure our other 2 vehicles with) only wants $180/6 months

· Registered
5,161 Posts
Quoted up the new car... Hagerty said $1,000/year
$532 is medical related

Progressive (who I insure our other 2 vehicles with) only wants $180/6 months
I've received quotes from Haggerty on two different vehicles years ago. They were the highest priced out of all the others. I have no idea why. They limit the vehicles use more than the others I received quotes from also. They are definitely a solid company regardless.

Reactions: Saleen 88-656

· Registered
6,166 Posts
Hagerty on my '86 - agreed value at $50K. Grundy is much cheaper at the same agreed value but they won't allow any form of racing. Hagerty will on the base coverage above. And they sell track insurance if you want that (very pricy). Guys in our club mostly have Grundy. Claims were paid quickly as were the Hagerty claims.

· Registered
5,161 Posts
Hagerty on my '86 - agreed value at $50K. Grundy is much cheaper at the same agreed value but they won't allow any form of racing. Hagerty will on the base coverage above. And they sell track insurance if you want that (very pricy). Guys in our club mostly have Grundy. Claims were paid quickly as were the Hagerty claims.
That's great that there's an option for race cars. I never knew that.

· Registered
10,375 Posts
Make sure you get it in writing what you can/cannot do with your policy.

I've gotten conflicting reports (from Haggerty) on if i can take my car to Home Depot to grab something small. One rep told me that was fine. Another rep told me I couldn't run errands like that with the car and can only pleasure drive or go to shows and such.

· Registered
929 Posts
Make sure you get it in writing what you can/cannot do with your policy.

I've gotten conflicting reports (from Haggerty) on if i can take my car to Home Depot to grab something small. One rep told me that was fine. Another rep told me I couldn't run errands like that with the car and can only pleasure drive or go to shows and such.
I stopped at HD after an Ice Cream social with my car club meeting...

· Registered
1,372 Posts
I stopped at HD after an Ice Cream social with my car club meeting...
Yup, or I was on a cruise and decided to stop at HD while I was on my way back home.

But, how would insurance know you were running errands vs. just out for a drive unless you had to make a claim in the parking lot.

Reactions: 91GTstroked

· Registered
11 Posts
Hagerty here with a $20k value and the “cherished vehicle” option someone else mentioned. I have a highly modified ‘95 GT. They didn’t question my request for $20k or ask for any verification of mods.

· Registered
2,175 Posts
Yup, or I was on a cruise and decided to stop at HD while I was on my way back home.

But, how would insurance know you were running errands vs. just out for a drive unless you had to make a claim in the parking lot.
You could still argue it.

If you pulled into the parking lot and someone hit you. You could simply state you pulled over because, car was overheating, car barely stayed running, brakes felt soft, ect.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 42 Posts