Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to see if anyone who drives their car on the street has coilovers...i want to know:

how is the ride

how much

a lot of work to install

handle better?

how is the ride?

is the car lower?

who make a good kit

·
Registered
626 Posts
i have a set that i havent installed yet since its winter here now. but you can adjust the ride height to what you want, they should make the car handle better because the spring is located out toward the tire more, giving the a-arm less leverage, and it works the tires more. (from what i have read anyway, correct me if im wrong) also they look easy to install depending on the kit. you can look here:http://www.colemanracing.com/section/index.htp?id=343 or you could also check out some of the corral advertisers x2cmotorsports, musclemotors etc.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The ride, lowering and handling all pretty much are determined by the spring rates you get.

Griggs and MM make excellent kits. There are others out there like the D&D that are good also. They are pretty much all the same. MM has some other features that are not necessary, but nice.

with the 94+ mustang, you need a 4 bolt CC Plate. So either MM or J&M plates for you. Otherwise the strut is not triangulated and can rip things up.

Springs, I have 350# up front on my fox3. Ride is good, not punishing. They are a good street/autox spring. some light OT would be fine also. If you want a better ride, then a 300-325 and handling would be a 375-400 spring for my setup.

Ride height, well you want to adjust the car at the lowest point where the A arms are not below parallel to the ground. Once you pass that point, you decrease the handling in the car by decrease the amount of negative camber. They are adjustable, so it is up to you there.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
coilovers

i have a set of coilovers on the front of my cobra, i used the j&m c/c plates, my struts are tokico's,and the coilovers kit came from griggs..the springs are 300 lb's..it was really easy to set the coilovers up on the car, on some sturts you have to do a little grinding in order for the sleeve to fit over, no big deal though..i would reccomend going with the coilovers,

·
Registered
438 Posts
i'm running the d and d coilover and m.m. camber plates and like them both i'm not sure of my spring rate but they are the sreet springs with tokico 5 way drag struts which are great for both sreeet and track use in my book.:D for as much as i lowered the car the ride is still ok.about 2 inches.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
slowfornow said:
to choose a company, it also depends if you are gonna race it, or just use it for mostly street.
Why is that?

They are all basically the same kits. A sleeve, collar, top had and springs. The only difference between like a drag, street and OT setup would be the spring rate.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Matt90GT said:
Why is that?

They are all basically the same kits. A sleeve, collar, top had and springs. The only difference between like a drag, street and OT setup would be the spring rate.
The struts/shocks make a difference too. I'm sure there is a ride difference between bilstien sports and kyb gr-2's. (or bilstein sports and the race valved ones for that matter) Overall, the spring rate IS the most important factor.

I will be going with the MM kit with the bilstein sports when I can afford to. I'm getting some cheap shocks from pepboys next week for the mean time. Damn tired of riding around on my pogo stick! :mad:

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
yes shocks and struts do make a difference and are very important to the decision. But kit wise, there is not difference in the parts list. Just different springs.

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
I'm not much into road racing. I have GP coilovers up front (soon to be rear also) using 200lb coils, with Lakewood 70/30s (soon to be Strange adjustables). With the 200lb coils, the car rides like a cadillac, just don't go flying around the corner..lol. Great straight track racing.

Troy

·
Registered
126 Posts
200Lb sounds more like it - how do you mean "dont fly around any corners"? To be honest the closest I come to tight cornering is an on ramp - but I don't want something dangerous. Im am concerned with ride quality. I'm certain a proper balance could be found - And I'm still not buying that a harsh ride means better handling. We had an Acura 2.2CL - The thing handled like it was on rails and at the same time had a superb ride - No electronic suspension - Just correct Damper and Spring choice. I've been putting off much need suspension work for well over a year now because I have yet to find anything definitive on this subject. MM&FF - if you ever happen to read this - My car goes fast in a straight line - the rest of the time all I want is a reasonable ride. I think I've read enough articles on "sporty" feeling suspensions - thanks.

I want to lower my car at least an 1.5inches (why does my car have 4x4 ground clearance and still ride like a dump truck?) AND have a smooth ride. I know it can be done.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Matt90GT said:
Why is that?

im sure they are all basically the same, but if i was going to race my car frequently, i wouldnt get cheap ones, i would go with maximum motorsport or similiar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts