Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start mocking up my coupe and I have a few questions as I'm new to coilovers. I have Koni SA's with MM c/o kits for the front, and rear Cobra IRS.

Do I need to do any reinforcing to the undersides of the strut tower and shock towers now that the entire weight of the car will be on these points?

Has anyone fabbed up their own rear upper mount that doesn't cost $240 like the MM piece?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Many of us run front C/Os with the stock shock tower. It is important to get quality CC plates. As for the rear, again many of us run C/Os in the rear with a stick axle and no additional bracing. Since your IRS uses the same shock mount as a stick axle, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you qtracer. My coilovers have a cup with a Delrin pivot bushing that is supposed to eliminate bind, but I don't think it will be as good as a bearing style like the MM rear upper mount. I was curious if anyone on here had fabricated something like this without spending $240 for the Maximum Motorsport ones like this pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I spoke with MM's Jack Hidley about those rear mounts. He advised these are meant for race
cars. For a DD like mine, he did not think they were needed. YMMV. I run the MM Bils on mine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is good to know. Maybe I'll do them down the road. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts