Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a '94 GT coupe with full power that is stock from oil pan to hood.
All accessories remain and all smog equipment is removed.
An air to air intercooled single turbo setup will be installed.
Tubular K member and A-arms added.
So in essence; I removed some weight and added the turbo kit.

I currently have Strange front coilovers with 12-170 springs. They aren't installed yet.
Before I install these; should I consider a higher spring weight? Car will be street/strip with an emphasis on street.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
For comparison:
Mine is a iron block 2V with twins mounted right in front of the motor, AC, PS, etc and a large A2A.
No front sway bar but I use a factory rear bar.
When I had CO's it had 14/175's and around town I never missed having a front swaybar, it was just fine. At one point I tried 14/150's and got 2 blocks before turning around and pulled them back out and put the 175's back in.

I say leave those in and try it before changing anything. If you don't like them it's easy to swap them in about an hour or so..

ks

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Go with the longer spring, and it is the strut that determines the ride quality, not the spring so much, unless the spring is to stiff. The strut controls spring oscillation, and thus ride quality. I have 14" long 125 lb/in springs on the front of my drag car and I can dial the strut settings to where you can not even bounce the front end, or I can make it act like it has no strut attached at all. The spring has little to do with ride quality. It is just supporting the weight.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go with the longer spring, and it is the strut that determines the ride quality, not the spring so much, unless the spring is to stiff. The strut controls spring oscillation, and thus ride quality. I have 14" long 125 lb/in springs on the front of my drag car and I can dial the strut settings to where you can not even bounce the front end, or I can make it act like it has no strut attached at all. The spring has little to do with ride quality. It is just supporting the weight.
I'm cornfused. Lol. How did we get on the subject of ride quality? I'm not concerned about it.

In regards to spring length; I was under the impression that 12" is the way to go on the track. I know Team Z and Strange recommend them. I'm guessing the 12" vs 14" debate is an old one with no definitive answer?

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
I use a longer spring at a lower spring rate. The reason why is you have to compress the lower spring rate more to get the ride height desired. As a result the spring has more stored energy when the front end rises on launch. More compressed spring, more stored energy, better weight transfer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts