Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing my coil springs to Steeda Sports, I drove around with them for a while & decided that they are too soft for my tastes. So I ordered a set of Eibach Pro's (which have higher rates), thinking that they made (2) different spring kits - one for the Cobra coupe & one for the Cobra Convertible. I had seen (2) different part #'s listed in a Brothers Performance ad, so I figured there must be a specific part for coupe/convertible. (Silly me... :rolleyes: )
Well, just to be COMPLETELY sure before I install them. I looked at the Brothers advertisement again (the same ad that has run for months in MM&FF), which shows part # EIB39545 for the Cobra convertible & #EIB39544 for the Cobra coupe. Then I double-checked the box sent to me by Brothers, which unfortunately is #EIB39544 (Cobra coupe) springs. :mad:

I then called Borthers to arrange for an exchange for the correct (#EIB39545) Cobra convertible springs. Brothers told me that there's only one part #, the EIB39544 (!?!?!?) even though their ad shows the (2) part #'s listed above. WTF!?!?! :confused:

So now I call Eibach, & they tell me (at 1st) that there are (2) different spring kits - a coupe specific & a convertible specific. I say "Are you sure???" The tech guy says "Let me check & make ABSOLUTELY SURE". He finally comes back on & tells me "Yes, you're right, there's only one spring part #. But they will work fine on the convertible..." (This is exactly what Steeda told me about their Sport springs, which I ended-up having to cut 1/4 off the front coils for the car to sit level... :rolleyes: )

I was unaware of how far some companies have their heads up their own asses...

I think I may just return the Eibachs while I still have time & get some Kenny Brown Club springs. At least I KNOW FOR CERTAIN that they have (2) different springs for the coupe/'vert...

(OK, I'm 99.9% sure they make two different springs.... )

Anyone else had any similar problems???

·
Registered
410 Posts
Complain complain complain, and then bump.

99% of people will read this and not have a freaking clue what you are talking about and write it off a complainer.

I on the other hand do know what you are talking about, and good luck.

I spent 3-5 days confirming part numbers and still got pot luck. MM website was wrong and techs were not 100% sure. Hypercoil was giving me different info. H&R contributed different info on the rear end. And all and all I just ordered and put the stuff together.

Some parts fit, some didn't, some more parts were bought, and a headache was had by all.

Same problem with all other suspension parts:struts, shocks, STB, bushings, ......

You have 3 strikes against you, I had 4 strikes:

-2001 -too new of model to know what's what, same as 99s but not 100%
-Convertible -the same as coupes but not 100%
-Cobra -the same as up front but not 100% and totally different in back with IRS and remember 01 IRS was changed a littl to fix 99 problem

-I did mine 7 months ago, so even less people had actual experience.

This is my exact reason I would like to meet a actual 01 Cobra Convertible who has done a Kmember before doing that mod.
I am not interested in doing my own mods to a new paid for mod.

My specs are in sig.

good luck, hope it works out.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
highmiles said:
Complain complain complain, and then bump.

99% of people will read this and not have a freaking clue what you are talking about and write it off a complainer.

I on the other hand do know what you are talking about, and good luck.

I spent 3-5 days confirming part numbers and still got pot luck. MM website was wrong and techs were not 100% sure. Hypercoil was giving me different info. H&R contributed different info on the rear end. And all and all I just ordered and put the stuff together.

Some parts fit, some didn't, some more parts were bought, and a headache was had by all.

Same problem with all other suspension parts:struts, shocks, STB, bushings, ......

You have 3 strikes against you, I had 4 strikes:

-2001 -too new of model to know what's what, same as 99s but not 100%
-Convertible -the same as coupes but not 100%
-Cobra -the same as up front but not 100% and totally different in back with IRS and remember 01 IRS was changed a littl to fix 99 problem

-I did mine 7 months ago, so even less people had actual experience.

This is my exact reason I would like to meet a actual 01 Cobra Convertible who has done a Kmember before doing that mod.
I am not interested in doing my own mods to a new paid for mod.

My specs are in sig.

good luck, hope it works out.
It also doesn't help that Ford made our cars just different enough each time that a part will fit some cars correctly, but not others... :rolleyes:
Thanks for your response - I guess I'll just keep changing-out springs until I get a set that works/sits correctly. Glad (AND sorry) to hear that someone else has encountered similar problems...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Angus, you know that Pete has a vert, ask him what springs he would recommend. You can always count on his advice!

Well, at least 99.9% of the time! :D

Oh, and get some aftermarket shocks/struts. The car will really stiffen up with those added! (Better than changing springs all the time!)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Enigma said:
Angus, you know that Pete has a vert, ask him what springs he would recommend. You can always count on his advice!

Well, at least 99.9% of the time! :D

Oh, and get some aftermarket shocks/struts. The car will really stiffen up with those added! (Better than changing springs all the time!)
Pete actually bought his/his wife's Cobra before there were many choices for '99 Cobra springs. He bought coupe springs & cut the front coils so that the car would sit level (he cut my Steedas for me after the front was sitting higher than the rear). His wife still thinks that the car could sit higher in the rear, even with the 1/2 coil removed if I remember correctly.
I'm looking @ Shocks/Struts now, but I can't decide between adjustable Koni's/Hal's or 2000 Cobra R Bilsteins.... :confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have Kenny Brown springs in my coupe and it lowered the car way too much. Over 2". Their fix was to put spacers in the front and vert springs in the rear. There is only 3" of clearence between the ground and my tail pipe,muffler and cat. As of now, I have not replaced them. On the positive side the car rides great and I got rid of the "HOP". Just know what your getting into.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ricks00Cobra said:
I have Kenny Brown springs in my coupe and it lowered the car way too much. Over 2". Their fix was to put spacers in the front and vert springs in the rear. There is only 3" of clearence between the ground and my tail pipe,muffler and cat. As of now, I have not replaced them. On the positive side the car rides great and I got rid of the "HOP". Just know what your getting into.
Over 2" DROP?!?!? :eek:
That's way too low for me... did they say why it lowered it that much instead of ~ 1.5" like they advertise???

(PS: did you order your GKN Stage III's through one of the fourvalve.com group purchases???)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Try the Ford Racing Catalog. I can't remember what is available for Cobra vert. But there are two different part numbers for GT vert and coupe. The catalog list the spring rates. The GT vert is M5300G, which are Eibach Pros. Eibach does not make a sportline for verts. It really stinks when do all the proper research and get screwed by the vendor. I went through the same thing trying to find gauge pods. Using info from the corral I was able to find a solution.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fast Eddie 2k1 GT said:
Try the Ford Racing Catalog. I can't remember what is available for Cobra vert. But there are two different part numbers for GT vert and coupe. The catalog list the spring rates. The GT vert is M5300G, which are Eibach Pros. Eibach does not make a sportline for verts. It really stinks when do all the proper research and get screwed by the vendor. I went through the same thing trying to find gauge pods. Using info from the corral I was able to find a solution.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, FRPP doesn't make any springs for the Cobra convertibles, only for the coupes... :(

The search continues....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Angus,
Yes, I got the GKN's(still not here yet) through the group purchase. Also, I have the Bilstein shocks and struts and love them. They must be good since the 03 Cobra has them.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ricks00Cobra said:
Angus,
Yes, I got the GKN's(still not here yet) through the group purchase. Also, I have the Bilstein shocks and struts and love them. They must be good since the 03 Cobra has them.
Are they the 2000 Cobra R Bilsteins???
Or one of the other models that Bilstein sells???

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Angus said:
bumpy :joy:
Return/sell all those springs that you've bought and go with te hMM coil overs :) They let you set your ride height where you want it and you can pick a linear rate spring that fits your needs. You would need a pair of Cobra R shocks, though.

Here's a pic of the coil-overs >>>http://www.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/rearco.html

Some food for thought....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey dude - sorry to hear you are having spring difficulties. I just installed my H&R super sports and although it wasn't too tough to do, I sure wouldn't want to do it again.

If you decide to try the H&R's be careful... my '01 Gt Vert lost 2" in the front and 1.5" in the back. Actually I am very happy with both the look and ride. It feels like a sports car should, firm, but not harsh. :joy:

I drove around for about 30 minutes after the install and loved it. I will be posting before and after pics tomorrow... I took the before pics earlier today, however I'm waiting to take the after pics in the daylight tomorrow.

I did not change the struts or anything like that.. the rest of the car is stock.

Good luck... at least you become very experienced in installing springs. :)

Best,
Rich

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rbianco said:
Hey dude - sorry to hear you are having spring difficulties. I just installed my H&R super sports and although it wasn't too tough to do, I sure wouldn't want to do it again.

If you decide to try the H&R's be careful... my '01 Gt Vert lost 2" in the front and 1.5" in the back. Actually I am very happy with both the look and ride. It feels like a sports car should, firm, but not harsh. :joy:

I drove around for about 30 minutes after the install and loved it. I will be posting before and after pics tomorrow... I took the before pics earlier today, however I'm waiting to take the after pics in the daylight tomorrow.

I did not change the struts or anything like that.. the rest of the car is stock.

Good luck... at least you become very experienced in installing springs. :)

Best,
Rich
I would love to see those pics!

Thanks for the post of your experience...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here are those pics I promised

As I promised here are the before and after pics. I put them on my website so I don't take up all the space here (lots of pics).

The car rides great.

What do you all think? I am happy with how they look, but curious to see what you think. The car was 1/4" higher in the front than the back before the install. Now the car is 1/4" higher in the back than the front. Also.... lost 2" in front and 1.5" in rear!

Before and After of H&R Install (01 GT Vert)

-Rich

1 - 19 of 19 Posts