Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cars has sat for about eight months with a blown head gasket. Anyways i got it all back together. The [email protected] thing wont start . It turns the motor but does not sound like the fuel is igniting. So i checked for spark, fuel pressure, fuel pump, injector ground, wire sequence and other basic stuff. Still no start.I have one of these ghetto code readers and i got the codes 21,24 and 85. 21 is the ole Cooling Temp. Sensor. 24 is the Air Chatge Temp. sensor. And 85 is the Canister Purge Solenoid circuit failure.( whenver idid the head gasket i removed the a/c and got the a/c elim. bracket. My question is this could one of these codes be keeping it from atleast making an attempt to starty? Sorry this is so long guys? Beeen so long without the stang' im starting feel that depression again! Thanks , Thunder rod:confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys -any help will help?
:barf:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got your PM.

I'm not exactially sure what my problem was because I stupidly started throwing money at it. This is what I would recomend.

First disconnect your battery for at least 10 minutes to clear the memory.

When that's done pull a spark plug and crank the engine over to see if you have spark. You can do this by removing a plug, then plug it back into the wire it came from and either hold it down to the chasis or set it there so it woan't move, then, using a screw driver crank the engine over (with key in on position) by bypassing the starter solonoid. You should get a nice spark, if not then you have a problem there.

If the inertia switch is set off it cuts the power to the fuel pump, so no you will not have a priming noise from the pump. but do check your pressure. Go out and buy a EFI fuel pressure gadge, or borrow one from a friend if you don't already have one (it's a nice piece of equipment to have). On the passenger's side of the engine you will see the connection to hook the gadge up to, you have to first remove a black plastic screw-on cap. I'm not sure what the fuel pressure should be, but mine was a solid 40psi, it should not go down unless you press the pressure relief valve on the gadge, if it does you most likly have a leak, bad fpr, or fuel pump.

How much gas is in the tank? You said it sat for 8 months, that's plenty of time to build up condensation...I'd bet that you have some bad gas or something. Spray a little starting fluid into the throtal body and see if it tries to fire that way, assuming you have spark.

Since you read my other post you know that by cutting the fuel off I was able to start my car, I'm not sure how or why but if you have spark try holding the pedel to the floor (it cuts the fuel off) and starting it. Like I said I'm not sure why it worked for me but it did.

Also if you find out that you have bad gas, depending on how full the tank is you'll have to drain the tank or drop in some Heet (the red bottle not the yellow, the red removes the current water in the gas, while the yellow prevents it) After you poor in the Heet also poor in some gas, as much as you can, that way it helps mix the Heet and existing gas up, because the water will sink to the bottom and not mix with the Heet.

Oh, and check your compression in all cylinders, you might have not put the head back on correctly...not trying to insult your intelegence but even experienced mechanics make mistakes sometimes.

Does it try to start? Like it fires a couple of cylinders but not all? You should also be able to smell fuel on the plugs if your getting fuel to the cylinders.

I know this is long but if you start with the KISS stuff (Keep It Simple and Stupid) you should be able to fix your problem.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
522 Posts
allright man so ya checked for spark and fuel correct. Do you have them both? Crank the vehicle over--if you have fuel gettin to the plugs then they will be wet if not firing. I dont think the air charge or canister purge will inhibit running. Ive been out of the industry for a year now so bare with me. The coolant temp sensor is a very important one though. Check to see if it is out of range---did the motor run before you took everything apart? IF so I would REALLY check your grounds. The main pcm ground is a common one to look over. Cant remember where it is on the vehicle but has several wires leading to one eyelet. Most likely bolts to the intake somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts