Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AutoZone is good for something. They are offering free code pulls, so I went and got mine done today. P1443 Evaporative Emission Control System Control Valve:confused: So what exactly does this mean? Could this have been caused by me running N2O? How critical is this code and what's the cost to get it fixed(I'll replace whatever is needed myself).

Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
i have the same thing, and was told it was the flow sensor, so that is what i am replacing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It is either flow sensor or Vapor management valve, no it is not cause by using NOS set-up.
It is vapor control for your fuel tank pressure. This thing will sense if you got too much pressure or vacuum in fuel tank, and cycle the valve to reduce pressure.
You can leave the gas cap off and the check engine light will comes on.
You got EEC5 system, very tough set-up and very sensitive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem as did LOTS of people it is almost always the evaporative emissions flow sensor. Costs about 15 dollars and takes 1 minute to replace.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My book calls is 1443 = Evaporative Emission Control System Control Valve.

You can check the valve by holding on to it and having someone turn the ignition key. Don't start the car. You will feel the switch throw. If you don't the valve control switch is bad or the control line. Then you can check to see if voltage is being applied. If you do feel it switch, then it is a vaccuum leak.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for this info guys, I'll look further into it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I just had the same thing on my '96 Cobra. Apparently the PF Sensor is the most likely cause, it fixed mine. It was $18 bucks here in Dallas. If thats not it, it is the Evap Cannister Purge Solenoid ($38) or a vacuum leak. The most likely and cheapest is the PF Sensor, Ford Part No. F57Z-14A606-BA for my '96, got the old part right in front of me...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Apparently the PF Sensor is the most likely cause, it fixed mine.
Sorry, but what does PF mean? Purge Flow? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
96MC said:
Sorry, but what does PF mean? Purge Flow? Thank you.
Yes. From what I could figure out looking over the vacuum diagrams and the diagnostic charts, the Purge Flow sensor is used to check functionality of the Purge Flow Solenoid. If the PF Sensor fails it is still going to flag DTC P1443 which points to a vacuum leak, PF Solenoid, or PF Sensor failure. From what I've heard, of those three the PF sensor seems to be the higher failure rate component.

Could a Ford Tech please confirm this? Again, this is only via my own troubleshooting and 2nd hand information on the failure rates so if I'm wrong somebody PLEASE correct this. Post back what you find!

·
Registered
545 Posts
What was the fix?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine still isn't fixed. I don't know whether to go buy the 2 parts mentioned, or have it put on a machine to be dead on sure what is wrong.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Did you try? "You can check the valve by holding on to it and having someone turn the ignition key. Don't start the car. You will feel the switch throw. If you don't the valve control switch is bad or the control line. Then you can check to see if voltage is being applied. If you do feel it switch, then it is a vaccuum leak."

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a slight crack in a vac line, trimmed it back and put it back on, that didn't work. I haven't tried the "hold onto it while someone turns the key" trick. I'm still not exactly sure what I'm supposed to hold onto. Anybody got a digicam so they can snap a pic?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
On mine the fix was the Purge Flow Sensor, P/N F57Z-14A606-BA on a '96 4V. Again, from what I've heard this is the most common failure component. And its also the cheapest, at $18 out the door from the Ford dealer.

Its a small black plastic thingie on the passenger side crammed in the corner at the inner fender/fire wall area above the vacuum canister. It has two vacuum lines going to it and a two wire harness with connector. There is an arrow on the top indicating the direction of flow. There is a vacuum line from either on the throttle body or just behind it that will go to this piece. Then coming out the other side is a vacuum line which goes to the Purge Flow Solenoid. This is a cylindrical valve about 3 to 3 1/2 inches long and maybe 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter, hell I'm doing this from memory. Then coming off the Purge Flow Solenoid there is another vacuum line which goes down to the evap cainster.

See if you can figure it out from this. I'll check back later tonight (I'm at work right now...).

BTW, when I was troubleshooting mine I pulled the Purge Flow Solenoid off the car and tested it on the bench so if you do the procedure outlined above and you feel/hear the valve click its gotta be the PF Sensor or a vacuum and good money is on the PF Sensor. Good luck and post back what you find!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Tell you what, I'll take a pic w/my digicam and post it and all doubt about what I'm supposed to be looking at will be removed.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's 3 pics that I hope will point me in the right direction.

In the bottom pic, the thing with the 2 vac lines coming from it is what had the cracked line that I trimmed and replaced. Check engine light stayed on. Do I need to go take some more pics or is what I need to check showing up in any of these 3?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
In the bottom pic, the thing with the white plastic hose fittings up against the shock tower that you pointed out had the cracked line, that is the Purge Flow Solenoid. Trace the vacuum line towards the intake and the next thing in line is the Purge Flow Sensor. Snap a pic of that and post it back. BTW, looks like yours is a GT, mine is a Cobra. Dont know if that will make a difference or not on the routing, but I guess we'll know soon...

[edit] whoops my bad! Yours is a Cobra too, sorry. It should be exactly the same...:eek:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I assume you are referring to the deal with the black cap and the 2 lines running from it?

·
Registered
545 Posts
GotPushrods? said:
In the bottom pic, the thing with the 2 vac lines coming from it is what had the cracked line that I trimmed and replaced. Check engine light stayed on.
The check engine light has to be cleared to see if the problem is solved. It won't go off by it self.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts