Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i pull code 1443 at autozone. after reading all the things on this board, i see that it is a purge flow sensor i need to replace. Now where is this thing? I have a 97 Cobra. Just tell me where it's near and how much this thing would cost and i would appreciate it.

Also i pulled the #2 o2 sensor was bad. Would any of these codes cause my car to backfire horribly in b/t wot shifts? Thanks guys,

Bryan

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not sure where the purge solenoid is but i was curious if ur MAF is gutted b/c mine does that in btween shifts and i've even been told it shoots flames when this happens. I was told that it could be caused by my MAF beeing gutted

·
Registered
365 Posts
go to the autozone website. They have a section where they show you where parts are located on your car

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
On a 96-98 the purge flow solenoid is near the passenger side firewall above the vacuum canister. Its a cylindrical thingie about 1 or 1 1/2 inch in diameter and 2 - 3 inches long? Got a two pin connector on it and two vacuum lines. Trace from the solenoid towards the intake and you will next hit the purge flow sensor. This little thingie is usually the culprit behind P1443 and is only about 15 bucks from Ford.

·
Registered
24 Posts
most likely your problem is the purge flow sensor, 18 bucks from Ford. To find it look at the top back side of the intake, there is a set of vacum hoses. Follow the top hose till you find a T in it. there is a black hose with a red stripe on one end of the T follow it all the way down, you will find a L shaped sensor on it with a connecter on one end that is what your gonna have to replace. After you replace it dissconect the battery for a little while. If when your driving after you replace it the light comes back on you'll need to replace the purge flow valve which if you keep followin the hose out of the sensor it is a cylindrical object tucked down by the firewall on the passenger side. The valve is 38 bucks. Most likely your problem will be the sensor so buy that first.

got that from electrictang

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Its just for emissions. The solenoid is used to vent the gas tank fumes stored in the cannister bank into the intake. The sensor is used to insure proper function. I dont think you'd notice any drop in power whatsoever. I didnt when mine tripped.

·
Registered
138 Posts
TriBlkCobra said:
Its just for emissions. The solenoid is used to vent the gas tank fumes stored in the cannister bank into the intake. The sensor is used to insure proper function. I dont think you'd notice any drop in power whatsoever. I didnt when mine tripped.
Oh, so this would trip a Check Engine light?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts