Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get this mil on and off. i vacuum tested the purge valve with the car off, and it holds vacuum. i've noticed that i no longer get the hissing sound when i remove my gas cap. i'm thinking it may be the gas cap, any ideas?

·
Registered
310 Posts
it's ussually the purge valve, It can hold vacuum off the car, but it doesn't mean its good. the valve opens once the engine starts, if it doesn't, it throws the code. apply a 12v power source to it to see if it opens. I used a 1/4 barbed fitting to bypass it, got rid of the code, but not emissions friendly either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this same code a year ago. finally found out it was the evaporative emissions purge flow sensor. It only cost 15 dollars and I know a lot of people had problems with them. Also it is very easy to replace.

·
Registered
180 Posts
baha49 said:
I had this same code a year ago. finally found out it was the evaporative emissions purge flow sensor. It only cost 15 dollars and I know a lot of people had problems with them. Also it is very easy to replace.
Bingo

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just finished working on the Cobra for this same problem. Pulled the valve, took it into the work room, applied power and checked actuation. Check contacts, looked a little crummy. Applied contact cleaner to the Purge Valve and PF sensor. Reassembled and running the car right now to see if its cleared up. I hope it is... I'm tired of screwing with it...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Update, the cleaning and reassemble didnt fix it. The valve is sticky so I'm guessing its the control valve. Checked and found no vacuum leaks between the control valve, PF sensor, and the intake. Couldnt get to the vac canister easily to check it but based on the above, I'll bet its the control valve. So this is a common failure? Its got to be the control valve or the PF sensor.

[edit] in the above post, I was using the wrong name. I said control valve where I should have been saying purge solenoid.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
keep us updated. should you be able to feel the valve opening and closing at idle? i know on some cars you can. is there any way to test the flow sensor? i'd like to know which is the real problem, and not by parts i don't need

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Got it fixed... what a PITA....

Well mine turned out to be the PF Sensor, not the solenoid. I removed the solenoid and tested it. You just put 12V across it and you should hear it click. When its deenergized the valve is closed and when you put power on it you can blow thru it. I thought it was a little stick so I tried it first. Turns out it was the next sensor upstream closer to the intake, a little black plastic thing. The Solenoid was $36 and the PF Sensor was $18 here in Dallas. Tried the solenoid first as that seemed most likely, but since PF Sensor was only $18 bucks I bought one at the same time too. Changed it out, reset the PCM and completed an OBDII drive cycle with no problems. Thats the longest its gone without throwing a code for about a week. Maybe I'm in the clear now...

[edit] based on this thread that would be 3 posts for the PF Sensor, plus its the cheapest component in the whole mix...

·
Registered
253 Posts
it's the purge flow sensor. scene it 1,000,000 times! :) basic part #14a606.
Leon

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i guess i'll try the sensor, and see if it does the trick. thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had this problem on my 1998 GT just today. I replaced the $15 purge flow sensor but that didn't fix it. Car's condition got much worse (not because of the part, just because it didn't correct the problem) and began running really rough.

Turns out it is the Idle Air Control valve. I pulled it off the car, douched it real good with throttle body cleaner and it ran much better than it was. Problem is, this is the second year that I have cleaned the IAC like this so I figure the part might be going bad. $80 replacement part at Ford. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts