Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my bone-stock cobra, I'm getting about 14-15mpg in the city. Hardly any traffic, and I don't usually shift beyond 3K. Does this seem a bit low for easy driving?

What is everyone else getting under what driving conditions, and what can I expect on the hwy?

If I'm getting less than average, anything I can do about it? Will a K&N filter help significantly?

Thanks...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I typically get 20mpg with my 98 Cobra, and 19mpg with my 95 Cobra. My drive is about 15 miles of freeway, and about a 2 mile jaunt at lunch. So, to me yours is a little low. Perhaps your air filter is dirty.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
That seems VERY low.

I consistantly get 19-24mpg depending on highway/city driving, and fuel I run. The 'oxygenated' fuels make me burn 10% more.

Take a look at all the basic stuff. Air filter, Plugs, Fuel Filter (while you're at it).

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 98 Cobra in the city would get about the same as you 14-15mpg, on the freeway I would get upwards of 24mpg. I think you are fine. Dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
Last time I checked mine was on a trip of 200+ miles. Lots of quick starts, curvy mtn roads, some city stop/go. Overall mileage was 25.9mpg. That's with 4.10 gear, too. Not too shabby.
Later,
CW

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, I'd say check your plugs and such. I was getting some pretty poor milage untill I did a tune up. Plugs, wires, cleaned the air filter. Now I average 20 MPG a tank, and I hot rod at lest once a day.:)

I fully agree that fuel type has a huge effect. I threw in an addative last fill up, you know for cleaning injectors, intake valves, etc. and I got pretty poor milage the whole tank. Go figure.

·
Registered
448 Posts
About the same mileage as mine. I get between 19-24mpg on the fwy depending on traffic.

FWIW when I had my 4.30's I got 12-14mpg city and 23+ on the fwy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wow, that seems low. I have 3.73 gears and i am still getting 18 in the city and around 23 on the highway and I don't have a light foot. Check the normal matinence items(ie, plugs, wires, ect.) and you will probably see a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts