Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car won't start sometimes, usually after it gets hot - happens a lot at the race track.

Doesn't turn over, doesn't make a clicking sound, doesn't do anything. All the lights come up with the key in the 'On' position, so I know it's getting power.

Happened tonight and I jacked it up and hit the starter with a socket - car started after that. I've heard that a lot of people have 'bad spots' in the starter that make it so the starter just won't turn over. Does anyone know if that type of thing can be caused by heat? What about symptoms?

I reproduced the problem tonight by turning the key till the starter started to turn, then letting off before the engine could fire. A couple times of that and it went dead again.. Does this sound like a dead spot in the starter?

Thanks!
Zach

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. I do not think it's the starter's ground - I have cleaned that and also tried running a cable directly from the negative battery terminal to the engine...

Thanks!
Zach

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How can I check that switch? I have jiggled it and repeatedly depressed the clutch to try and see if that's the problem, but those tactics don't seem to help.. Is there a way I can test it without removing it?

I am scheduled to go in and get a new starter tomorrow, hopefully that fixes this...

Thanks,
Zach

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! If the starter doesn't fix it, that will be my next choice. I actually have some parts I bought a few months ago that would allow me to bypass the switch and force the car to think the clutch was depressed when I manually flipped a switch.. Might hook that up.

Thanks,
Zach

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do what you want but I like the security of the clutch switch . Think of the probs. with your car lunging( assuming you leave it in gear when parked - I always do)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was going to be an emergency only thing. It wouldn't disable the switch forever, it would just allow me to bypass the switch in the times when the car wouldn't start. Of course I guess a new switch would just be easier!

Thanks for your help.
Zach

1 - 8 of 8 Posts