Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 GT with the solid rotors out back and I would really like to use the Cobra setup with the internally vented rotors. Are the rotors interchangeable? Meaning can I get a set of Cobra internally vented rotors and replace my solid GT rotors? I know of course that the Cobra rotors are thicker and require a thinner brake pad. But how about the brackets and caliper. Are those different? Thanks for the help.

Royce M

·
Registered
286 Posts
No....the cobra rotors are larger as well...11.65" as opposed to 10"(I think that is the number on the rear)...in any event you would have to change your mounting brackets to use the cobra rear set-up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What he said.

You need the brackets to move the caliper farther out to clear the larger rotors. The Cobra rotor is also wider, so you need to either switch to the wider Cobra calipers or run thinner brake pads.

·
Registered
286 Posts
bala said:
I thought, the calipers are the
same. Only different part no. for the pads.
You are correct Sir...same caliper...just a thinner pad:cool:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read somewhere that the caliper were the same. What Ford used to compensate for the thicker rotors were thinner pads. I guess I will have to look into the caliper mounting brackets. Any idea on price?

Thanks
Royce M

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'd have to check the current 2003 production specs, but in 1994 when we first started doing conversions we found out that they were a different part number. The bolt pattern and overall shape are the same, so they bolt right on. But the span is a little wider on the Cobra. It’s no problem if you use a thin pad, but when you put a brand new uncut rotor together with a brand new brake pad made to the maximum width, you suddenly find that the caliper won't go on the rotor. Some aftermarket pads are made thinner than others, you won't always have this problem, but it does occur.

I just called the Ford dealer to double check, and they are still listed as different part numbers for the Cobra. (One part number ends with“-A” the other ends with “-B”) Just to be sure it wasn’t only a different part number be because the Cobra caliper comes loaded with different pads, I asked. They said the pads were listed separate and the caliper didn’t come loaded with them.

Don’t forget that you also need to pull the axles out to change the adapter brackets. We do this stuff all the time. If you need more info call up and ask for Fred Mills.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Steeda tech support, bs. I would think that you guys would know the basics.

Gt/V6 is a 10.5" solid rotor.
Cobra is a 11.65" vented rotor.

Now you need the following parts to go from a GT/V6 to Cobra rears on the solid axles:

-cobra rear rotors (2)
-cobra caliper/anchor bracket or grind the stock ones to fit the thicker rotor (2)
-cobra antimoan brackets (94-98 cars)
-pads for 94-98 cobra (1 set)
-1 bottle friction modifier
-1 tube of black gasket maker silicone
-3 qts of differential fluid

Now the difference by most brands on the pads is that the GT is a 627 series pad. The Cobra pads would be a 627A series pad. It seems to be a hit or miss with some companies as if they pulled their head from their arse to figure out the cobras take thinner pads. It just varries by brand. Again look for the Alternative pads with the A at the end for the cobras.

Axle brackets: you have to swap them to the cobras. These are the brackets mounted to the axle flanges (4 bolts). The cobra units lift the caliper about .8" higher to clear the taller rotors.

now the anchor bracket. Ford has made 3 different units that I have seen. The GT and V6 units do not connect on the outside. The cobra does. The cobra is also wider between both sides. If you have the GT units, get out the grinder and clearance the inside of the bracket. Trial fit until things are good.

Calipers are the same. Brake lines can be different, especially in the V6 units as they hang off the body in the 99+ cars. Follow the Bullitt/Mach1/94-98 Cobra cables and routing. This may require some extensive replumbing in the V6 cars.

Other than that, you pull the axles to do the job. Any Haynes or Chiltons manual will guide you through that chore. Be sure you need them as really they are not needed unless you are doing some OT and get some serious rear brake fade. For the street, the only use would be to fill up the larger wheels with the larger rotors.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Matt, Thanks for the info. I needed exactly what you posted :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
LOL, I can always count on you, Matt. First you call my info BS. Then you confirm everything I said.

Matt90GT said:

Now you need the following parts to go from a GT/V6 to Cobra rears on the solid axles:

<snip> -cobra caliper/anchor bracket or grind the stock ones to fit the thicker rotor (2)

<snip> It seems to be a hit or miss with some companies as if they pulled their head from their arse to figure out the cobras take thinner pads. It just varries by brand

<snip> Axle brackets: you have to swap them to the cobras.
Well, at least we agree on the rest of the info you provided, e.g. thicker 11.65: rotors, the need to open the diff cover and change fluid to pull the axles, brake lines hang off the body instead of the axle on the later cars, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Techguy, you must not have done the conversion yourself or you would know the calipers are the same.

Matt was referring to the caliper braket that requires clearancing or you can buy the Cobra bracket, in which case it is a direct bolt on.

You need the Cobra pads, they are thinner to accomodate the thicker rotor because the Caliper is the same.

I agree with Matts first comment, Steeda BS!!!!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Having done the rear upgrade, I can tell you first hand that the rear calipers are different between the GT and cobra!

The "fang" part on the outer part of the cobra rear caliper that compresses the pad is longer than the GT. I know because I am useing my GT rear calipers, and the outer pad is wearing at an angle, but the inner is wearing even. Also I originally bought the cobra spec anti-rattle clips, and they would not work with the GT calipers....................

So these are 2 actual physical reasons, not to mention the cobra calipers are different parts#'s and differnet prices.

Bottom line, the rear calipers are slightly differnet between the GT and Cobra

·
Registered
85 Posts
Techguy, you must not have done the conversion yourself or you would know the calipers are the same.

No, they are different, you just dont know any better.

last5liter: Having done the rear upgrade, I can tell you first hand that the rear calipers are different between the GT and cobra!
techguy: When we first started doing conversions we found out that they were a different part number. The bolt pattern and overall shape are the same, so they bolt right on. But the span is a little wider on the Cobra. We do this stuff all the time.
Know what youre talking about before you try slamming someone over it.

Tony

1 - 16 of 16 Posts