Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Corral Charter Member
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first oil change on the "new" Cobra, and I will say that it was a huge PIA...

The reason I found it to be a PIA over any other prior Mustang I have owned is this:

The factory 94/95 Cobra engine comes with a factory "Police style" oil cooler, that is mounted to the area on the engine block where an oil filter would normally mount. This piece is about 2" thick, mind you, 2" coming off the block. When using a Motorcraft FL1A oil filter, the "end" of the oil filter is so damn close to the sway bar, due to being mounted onto the oil cooler, that it is a PIA to get a regular style oil filter wrench onto the oil filter....

Am I going about this the wrong way? Even on my prior 96 Cobra, it was easier to change the oil filter, and it too had a HUGE oil cooler block mounted to the engine.

Has anyone here disposed of or maybe has permanently removed the factory oil cooler from the engine and now mounts the filter directly to the engine as the pre 94 5.0's did?

I mean, how much cooling is REALLY occuring with the oil, since it's basiclaly HOT radiator fluid being pushed through the oil cooler unit? If the prior 5.0's ran fine without an oil cooler, can't the 94/95 Cobras run without one too?

If anyone HAS removed their factory oil cooler - please explain how you went about doing it, what modifications are necessary, and the pros/cons to performing this "mod".

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I was gonna ask that, since I'm tired of ****ing with those hoses after I had to reroute my belt, I might take it off. Yeah, oil changes are a PITA too.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
I have a stock 95 and I have no problem at all changing my oil. You guys ARE using the cobra specific oil filter and not the regular 302 oil filter right????

·
Corral Charter Member
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OH SCHNAPS!.....

damn - now don't I feel retarded...

I only glanced down to see the oil filter already installed, and it was an FL1A, so, when I went to do the oil change, I also bought the same oil filter to put back on the car. When I was under there taking off the old one (and trying to put on the new one), I was like "%$#@! is going on here?" .... It is now apparent that the dealer installed the wrong filter....

I knew my prior 96 Cobra used the FL300, which was shorter...

But - back to topic though - After thinking about the replies above, I'd rather run a larger oil filter, than a smaller one....

So, for those who have removed the factory oil cooler - how did you do this, I mean, what was involved in deleting it? What, if any, parts do I need to do this? I see that there are both rubber & metal cooling lines/hoses coming off near the water pump, so I am assuming something has to be modified in order to completely delete the oil cooler.

I just can't possibly see how the oil is being cooled, when there is HOT radiator fluid flowing through the cooler... Plus,. as others have stated, that damn cooler is really in the way and is a big clutter....

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If your running your car with stock thermostat and stock fan settings, then yes the oil cooler is doing very little, but when you go to a 160* stat and have the fans come on at 180* or so then it will help quite a lot. If you really want a good oil cooler, get an air to air and use your existing adapter to hook it up and just cap off the water lines... use the short filter and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I rremoved the oil cooler after a few years. I wanted the larger filter. I have had no problems at all. I was able to get rid of the ugly hoses.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
Several years ago I removed the cooler off of a 95 Cobra that I owned. I am also going to take it off of the 94 I have now. I don't remember all of the details, but it was very easy. I believe the cooler itself just had a big bolt in the center that just unscrewed off of the normal threaded thing in the block. The engine looks much less cluttered now and the guy at FRPP told me that under most conditions it is a oil heater rather than a oil cooler. It was designed mostly for the guys who take their cars out and run them really hard for long periods of time like road racing or something. I think I had to change a heater hose or the little bypass hose up top also, but it was all basic GT stuff.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
The way I looked at it was most 5.0's never came with a oil cooler and they have proven to last almost forever even beating the crap out of them, so unless it is used for a special kind of racing or something, I think it is a waste. Probably just being able to run a full size oil filter again would help the motor live longer than cooler oil.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
95Cobra and XSPower -

you state something about a GT hose (or by pass hose) - what exactly do you mean, or exactly do I need to do the "deletion"? Are'nt there metal lines or something that the oil cooler hoses connect to, to feed the coolant from the top area of the intake/waterpump to the cooler?

I was trying to find some good tech on this, but have not come across anything decent yet - sorry for all of the questions.

Yes, running a larger filter in my opinion is alot better than running that little tiny FL300 filter - this is one of the main reasons I'd like to ditch the oil cooler setup.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Seems like the consensus is to remove the cooler.....

I agree it's not easy to work around. And those hoses are prone to leak.

However, with a 180^ T-stat, it is able to remove some heat from the oil. Keep in mind that the 5.0 Explorer came from the factory with a similar setup. As did the Special Service (Police) Mustangs from the early 90s. Ford didn't put the oil cooler setup on the CopStangs just for looks IMO.

My Cobra isn't a daily driver. With a full Griggs suspension, it's set up for open tracking, I rarely drive it on the street--maybe 2-3K miles per year.

I am keeping the oil cooler setup until I upgrade to an oil-to-air based setup.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
Just know that when you get rid of the metal tubes, you need to hook things up just like a normal GT 5.0, nothing special.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Viper Stang said:
Seems like the consensus is to remove the cooler.....

I agree it's not easy to work around. And those hoses are prone to leak.

However, with a 180^ T-stat, it is able to remove some heat from the oil. Keep in mind that the 5.0 Explorer came from the factory with a similar setup. As did the Special Service (Police) Mustangs from the early 90s. Ford didn't put the oil cooler setup on the CopStangs just for looks IMO.

My Cobra isn't a daily driver. With a full Griggs suspension, it's set up for open tracking, I rarely drive it on the street--maybe 2-3K miles per year.

I am keeping the oil cooler setup until I upgrade to an oil-to-air based setup.
Yeah...if your gonna road race it and rpms, heat and speeds are gonna constantly be up there...it definately cant hurt...

you state something about a GT hose (or by pass hose) - what exactly do you mean, or exactly do I need to do the "deletion"? Are'nt there metal lines or something that the oil cooler hoses connect to, to feed the coolant from the top area of the intake/waterpump to the cooler?
Right...

There is a bypass hose that goes from the water pump to the heater core solid lines that run along the passenger side of the intake....you need the GT hose.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Just unbolt the entire oil cooler setup(metal lines, hoses, and the round oil cooler) Then all you have to do is buy the small "L" shaped rubber line for the GT's.

If you get a chance, just take a peak at any fox body 5.0 or 94-95 GT and you will see the little "L" shaped hose.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
94cobra2615 said:
Just unbolt the entire oil cooler setup(metal lines, hoses, and the round oil cooler) Then all you have to do is buy the small "L" shaped rubber line for the GT's.

If you get a chance, just take a peak at any fox body 5.0 or 94-95 GT and you will see the little "L" shaped hose.
ah - ok, so then that hose woudl be the same if not similar to the same hose on the 87-93 5.0's as well then? I know Ford chaged alot of things after 1993 on the 5.0 Mustang's engine setup, but was not sure if the standard GT still had the same style of hoses/design as the pre-94's.

Cool - thanks for all the info fellas, I'm going to look at the current set up better over the weekend and get the single hose recommended above! I'll probably do this deletion during my next oil change, since I already did an oil change... lol! I'm sure it will also clean up the engine bay a little, and I'll be able to properly run and use a larger oil filter such as the FL1A.

The thoughts of an oil-to-air cooler is a better idea IMO than the oil-to-water cooler factory set up. The oil-to-air set up is more beneficial to properly cooling the oil in a more efficient manner, since while driving, cooler air is being forced through the cooler's fins (exactly like a radiator or condensor) - whereas the water-to-oil is really not cooling the oil as efficiently, since most "non-enthusiasts" do not change out their thermostats etc...

:)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
This does sound like it would be a good idea to do, as my procharger serpentine belt rubs against these lines severly.
I don't have access to seeing a GT or older style LX's tubing from the oil filter to the heater core.
Can someone snap a quick pic of theirs on a digital camera and post it?
I'd be curious as to what exactly I would need to eliminate these annoying lines.

Dan

1 - 20 of 53 Posts