Ford Mustang Forums banner

Cobra or GT? To hard to decide!

2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  slow 
#1 ·
I just found out that I will be recieving some cash for graduation, and will finaly be able to buy a nice 5.0. Now... what are the pros/cons of the GT and Cobra?

I heard that the Cobra has a limiter, but if it does then it is one that I will never touch. Other than that... Brakes, heads, rims, look-at stuff... Anybody?

#3 ·
The Cobra is faster out of the box. If you plan on doing tons of mods, a GT may be a better choice to start with due to the price difference. You can upgrade to Cobra brakes relatively cheaply nowadays, but I don't know if the GT's 17" wheels clear the calipers or not.

The Cobra has underdrive pullies, lightwieght flywheel, upper and lower intakes, gt40 heads, 1.7 RR, better T5, better brakes and 24 lb injectors. Those are the major pieces.

Exterior is Cobra wheels, Cobra wing and Cobra front bumper cover. Inside is leather shift boot, leather e-brake handle and a couple of other little things.

I just like the snakes on the side, it scares old ladies :evil:

#7 ·
Brian is right.... bolt ons alone the Cobra will not take as many to be quick. MAF, exhaust, gears and cam will get you 13.0. But a GT requires heads, intake, rockers, etc etc for same results. However if you are building a monster, where you are replacing most everything, just go with the GT. Unless you have the extra 3K to burn and like the worm on the side.

#9 ·
I'd get the Cobra any day.

It's cooler and origional.

When I was shopping for a 'Stang, it really didn't matter to me either way because I had big plans on modifying it. Well, it's been a year and a half and my car is still stock. Glad I got the Cobra for the factory-built performance over a regular GT.

It's amazing how a wife can find all sorts of other uses for money than throwing it at your car!

IJCobra

#10 ·
#12 ·
The insurance depends on where you live. Some regions of the country, Cobra's have less premiums than GT's. FWIW, I am 28, married, and live in VA Beach, and I pay about $85/month for my 95 Cobra convertible.

#13 ·
MKoebra95 said:
The insurance depends on where you live. Some regions of the country, Cobra's have less premiums than GT's. FWIW, I am 28, married, and live in VA Beach, and I pay about $85/month for my 95 Cobra convertible.
25/single/bad driving record.....$62/month from Geico for my car. And I am pretty sure that Jacksonville has more people than VA Beach.

I don't understand why Cobras would ever have cheaper insurance than a GT. They are worth more and have more power (stock).

#14 · (Edited)
Have you considered a V6? Hahaha.

I'd think Cobra insurance might be cheaper than GT because people might take more care of them, being limited editions and all that.

Also, they are typically more expensive so older people are more likely to have them.

#16 ·
poostang said:
Man ide take a cobra any day over a GT, if i had the choice. according to NADA 94-95 Cobra Coupes are going for $8000-11,000, depending on condition, That is in FL. GT's are going for $6,000-9,500.
Man I wish I lived near you, because out here in California 94-95 GT's go from $8000-11000, and COBRA's go up to $ $20,000.

OH and foxes go from $ 4,500- 8000.

( I paid $10,100 for my vert):eek:

Sounds like it's worth paying Air Fare just to fly across the country and by a car.

That's INSANE

#17 ·
Anaconda said:

25/single/bad driving record.....$62/month from Geico for my car. And I am pretty sure that Jacksonville has more people than VA Beach.

I don't understand why Cobras would ever have cheaper insurance than a GT. They are worth more and have more power (stock).
The average demographics for Cobra owners is a 55+y.o. male with a stable job and a family. I have never seen actual demographics for GT coupes, but on the average they are owned by young men. This will lead to less accidents and tickets from Cobra owners than GT owners. Now I know there are young Cobra owners (me!), and there are older GT drivers but demographics are what insurance companies base rates off of.

Anecdotal or "gut" evidence would favor the Cobra having higher rates, but in practice it is a toss up.

#18 ·
CObra insurance is more becuase when the insurace man runs the VIN. It come up as a High performance motor. While the GT does not show up as a high performance motor. just something to think about.

#19 ·
Insurance

YouveBeenBIT94 said:
CObra insurance is more becuase when the insurace man runs the VIN. It come up as a High performance motor. While the GT does not show up as a high performance motor. just something to think about.
A friend of mine had a stripped '95 GTS. When he wrecked it and got a loaded '94 Cobra his insurance dropped by $14/month. Reason: Average Cobra driver is 47, average GT driver is 26. I am thinking that the Cobra would be the smarter choice for me, because I will be doing primarily autocross, and it has better brakes. I will be modding out the suspension anyway.

#21 ·
You should check out V8Venom.

He has a 99 Cobra, but he has it totally outfitted for autocrossing. Full Grigg's suspension, roll cage, etc. Plus, he has hundreds of videos of him racing.

Definately worth checking out if you are going to be autocrossing a Cobra.

Your suspensions are the same from the factory (don't think he has the IRS).

Try to find the "Year In Review" video. It's like a "best of", has spin-outs, crashes, close calls, all the cool stuff.

IJCobra

#22 ·
My insurance dropped 200 dollars every three months when i switched from a 1995 v6 to a 1994 cobra. I guess more v6 owners have wrecks.

#23 ·
94svt5.0 said:
My insurance dropped 200 dollars every three months when i switched from a 1995 v6 to a 1994 cobra. I guess more v6 owners have wrecks.
Yeah, almost every weekend one of the girls at my school that own V6 F-bodies/Mustangs gets in a wreck. They also wreck a lot of Eclipses. The ones that don't get into wrecks are the ******* chicks that have been driving (drunk) since the age of 12. Messed up, huh?

#24 ·
Go Fox

I just bought a 94 GT a couple of months ago for a great deal. Now I'm kicking myself for it. I wish I would have saved the monthly payment and bought an old fox notch, then built that up. Insurance is cheaper plus what i'm now using as a monthly payment on my 94 could be going torwards parts. But thats my opinion. Fox parts are more abundant. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with my 94, but a 351 fox would be much cooler.

#25 ·
also the later you insure a car, (when its older) the cheaper it is.

Your rates tend not to go down do they?

Insure a 95 GT in 95 say price is $150 a month

Insure a 95 GT in 2001 say price is $108 a month

Thats why a lot of the cars are cheaper when you upgrade, its the car is older, less value now, then when you insured then brand new.

Also some insurance companies are weird, a V6 stang was not cheap when i was 18, but now that im 21, i can drive almost anything for $115 a month. (quote was for a vette, the WS6 was $115.12 a month, 99 cobra, similar.. ect ect. )

Ryan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.