Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and did not come up the answer. I'm contemplating swaping in a 03 Cobra IRS into my 92 GT. I've heard different stories regarding the IRS track width. I've heard it the same as a 94-98, it's the same as 99-04 and that it's inbetween. Anyone know how wide they really are? Also any way to verify it's a 03 IRS and not a 99-01?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I've never seen any documentation that indicates the IRS track width is any different than the 99-04 stick axle track width, which is 3 inches wider than a foxbody and 1.5 inches wider than an SN95.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My '03 Cobra IRS that I am going to be installing into my '86 is 61 1/2" from face of hub to face of hub. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI to anyone who cares.
I pulled the rear wheels on my 92 (SN95 axles, Cobra brakes) to measure the width. Using a straight edge on each rotor flange and a tape inbetween - the width is almost exactally 61". So I pulled the rear wheel of my 03 Cobra. I supported the weight on the lower control arms to make the axles pointing exactally straight out (maximum width) - almost exactally 62.5". 3/4" wider per side. That would put the bulge of the tires on the 92 slightly ouside the fender. I can see where somone may get a narrower measurement, if the car was supported by the body with the axles shafts arched down it would make it seem narrower or if the rotors were not on.

What wheels are being used with this conversion that don't poke out past the fender making it look funny?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Pretty much any 94+ 5 lug wheel works on mine. This is assuming a 17x8 wheel. the 03-04 Cobra wheels stick out past the comfort zone.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
When I was looking into an IRS swap, I had heard that it's a good idea to use the 96-04 spindles to keep the front and rear about the same width. So there you go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts