Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was planning on buying a 99 or 00 gt but i think i might as well buy a cobra, i would like to turbo it in the future but i am finding out how much more money ill need to spend to make it reliable. Now i want to start planning on building a nice forged engine and a decent fuel system 500-600hp so far i have only found a few short blocks x2c motorsports shortblock version 2 with the arp main studs. suposedly rated to 900hp and $2900 any feedback on these. Also what would be a good set of heads and cams to. also who offers a good intake to replace the stock item (theres the x2c sheet intake but thats 1800 buks), and last but not least fuel im f***ed here any suggestions.

Also i seen the dss pro modular long block, it comes with stage 3 ported pi heads the only problem is that these are sohc. i cant seem to find if they offer dohc kits do they or not.

lastly if i bought any shortblock any added shm stage 2 port heads and A. blower cams and B. cobra stage 3 cams. what power will these make. info on all subjects would be great

·
Registered
417 Posts
Don't know about the other motors, but I'm pretty sure DSS has a DOHC version as well.. that's who I'm considering buying a new one from too, and funny enough, I'm also thinking turbo down the road. DSS got a great writeup in MMFF recently, and their prices seem reasonable.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I had a '96 GT and then purchased a used '97 Cobra engine for mine and had it rebuilt with a forged bottom end (all equipment purchased from Modular Performance -- forged equipment). This is what I would recommend you do unless you are wanting to pick up a run to death car and drop a fresh engine in there.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't build a forged motor till I had to.

If you have a good tune you don't need to have forged internals. There are undreds of people out there running higher boost number on stock blocks and not having any problems.

Just run your stock block till it gives. Also with a turbo system you won't have to run as much boost as you think to get that kind of power.

Here is a link to my arguement: http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb_archives/32v_pistons.html

Jeff

·
Registered
123 Posts
lets say i bought a used cobra short block. How much would i spend on labor and parts to get it to hold up to 600 crank hp? considering i build it up, and swap it in after my stock bottom end blows? sorry if that question sounded idiotic.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you have just the short block it a tough call. you probably don't know how many miles are on it and such, so you probably would want to have it rebuilt. That runs around $3100-3500, and that's just for the short block.

You can get a Cobra motor from "XX" company for about $4500. You can learn on that one and when/if you blow that one up you can still have the motor rebuilt. You blow up the already rebuilt engine, and I don't know if it can be rebuilt. I don't know of anyone that will do that. The rebuilt motors are generally bored over .020-.030. I don't know if they can be bored anymore.

In my opinion, just buy the long block with all the acc. from some company and put it in. From my experience if I had to do it again, that's waht I would do.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sorry, I'll answer your question now.

If you were to build it yourself it would be about 1500 or so for parts for rotating assembly, plus machining of the block lets say 500, equals $2000 plus the questioning iyourself if you did everything right.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts