Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

88GT with dynomax LX SS catback, cervinis cobra bumper cover. I can't for the life of me get my tailpipes to hang at the correct level. The stock rubber isolators are too short, causing the tailpipes to hit the bumper cover. Which isolators did you use to drop the tailpipes down far enough to not rub the bumper cover? It's driving me nuts here. I don't want to melt the bumper cover and don't know how much clearance is needed b/w the bumper cover and the tailpipe?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Just take the car to a muffler shop and have them cut and extend the hangers. That is what I did. The hangers on 93 cobra tailpipes are longer than LX's. I think borla is the only company that makes a specific 93 cobra tailpipe. I could be wrong. The clearance I expect is enough room to get your pointer and middle fingers to the second knuckle between the bumper and tailpipe.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Like said above the hanger needs to be extended.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
if yuo have a welder at home yu can extend the hangar yuor self by cutting it off and adding a short length of metal rod the correct diameter and length needed in.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. thanks all. I'm gonna cut and weld. Sure getting a lot of use from my welder. I was going to completely cut off the old hanger, and weld on a new one. I think I'll do what you all said and just extend it. Two knuckles...1/2" or so then. Thanks a bunch all. I was thinking something was wrong with my tailpipes or hangers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts