Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched my '03 go down the line at DAP today. Way too much fun! :joy: The guys even let me start and drive the car off "end of line". VIN # 368. Got some photos.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Well, post the photos already dammnit! LOL :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
What are gonna name it????

It must be like watching your first kid being born! Congrats man, I'm jealous. I just got my 01' so I'm stuck for a bit.

Get the pics up for us...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a thrill! I have 3 kids so nothing can match their births. I had to sell my '85 5.0L Capri and my 429 SCJ Cyclone project to afford the Cobra. I was remorseful about selling the 2 cars but after watching the Cobra being built I don't have any regret selling my Mercurys. I really need to get permission from Ford before I post pictures or create a website just to show the build sequence. I basically watched the body after it dropped from the 2nd floor shell with carpeting, wiring, dash. I found the engine just after trans to engine decking. The the line workers were very cool about me being there. I got a few good pictures of the workers hamming it for the camera. They are really doing a fantastic job putting these cars together.

·
Registered
545 Posts
vortech90gt said:
permission from ford???? screw them you just laid down $30+ on a car, show me some pics dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He is right. The pictures may show company confidential information. If they allowed him to shoot pictures of his car, for his personal use that is one thing, to post them on the internet is another. Let him check before he gets sued.

Congrats! I am very jealous. But I guess a S/C is in the cards for the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
ARREST-ME-RED '03 said:
Watched my '03 go down the line at DAP today. Way too much fun! :joy: The guys even let me start and drive the car off "end of line". VIN # 368. Got some photos.
SVT ought to set up some optional thing for a few bucks that lets the owner watch at least part of the assembly process- maybe letting them help build some small part of their car, or driving it off the line. I know there would be all kind of legal B.S. that would make this impossible..

·
Registered
218 Posts
If they let you take pictures what you do with them is your business...if the area you were in was confidential they would have not allowed you to take pics.......lets get real..post the pics.

·
Registered
410 Posts
That is totally cool. Really cool.

As for the photos, I can't believe they let you take photos, I would think outside cameras would not be allowed because of confidential reasons. Every penny saved and how they save it is a trade secret.

No one asked, but I will, how do you get to see your car built? Who do you talk to or did you know someone?

Again, hope it runs as well as it looks.

thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I basically watched the body after it dropped from the 2nd floor shell with carpeting, wiring, dash. I found the engine just after trans to engine decking. The the line workers were very cool about me being there. I got a few good pictures of the workers hamming it for the camera. They are really doing a fantastic job putting these cars together.
How long did it take from the time you saw the body until the car was completed?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
highmiles said:
That is totally cool. Really cool.

As for the photos, I can't believe they let you take photos, I would think outside cameras would not be allowed because of confidential reasons. Every penny saved and how they save it is a trade secret.

No one asked, but I will, how do you get to see your car built? Who do you talk to or did you know someone?

Again, hope it runs as well as it looks.

thanks.
Maybe Ford doesn't care at this point as the Mustang is moving to Flat Rock and from what I saw when I took the assembly line tour in 2000 it was anything but "state of the art". What I'm saying is that this place is a friggin' dump-maybe not the technology but the place itself. The assembly line itself was probably about the way it looked back in '64 when they first started building these cars-pretty crude..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason for my good fortune is that I work for the Ford, although not at DAP or SVT. I have been a Ford nut before I worked here and still am. DAP is definitely an old plant but there is a lot of history here. I definitely think Ford should allow an owner to be able to see some of his/her car built. Liability would be an issue on bringing in customers but hey just sign a waiver. Maybe in the future this could be available. I plan on making a suggestion. The time I saw the body until it rolled of the line was 5 hours with 45 minutes for lunch and one break. I don't know what the total time was from body out of paint.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
252 Posts
Re: What are gonna name it????

2stangBK said:
It must be like watching your first kid being born! Congrats man, I'm jealous. I just got my 01' so I'm stuck for a bit.

Get the pics up for us...
Hopefully less messy. Maybe that's the real hold up on the pictures. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
ARREST-ME-RED '03 said:
The reason for my good fortune is that I work for the Ford, although not at DAP or SVT. I have been a Ford nut before I worked here and still am. DAP is definitely an old plant but there is a lot of history here. I definitely think Ford should allow an owner to be able to see some of his/her car built. Liability would be an issue on bringing in customers but hey just sign a waiver. Maybe in the future this could be available. I plan on making a suggestion. The time I saw the body until it rolled of the line was 5 hours with 45 minutes for lunch and one break. I don't know what the total time was from body out of paint.
Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pics please, there where some other pics, bad quality,posted a while ago with the cobras just sitting there.

But since you work for them get permission fast!!!! I'm sure you can show at least the last photos of it at the end, before your drove it off the line!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pics please, there where some other pics, bad quality,posted a while ago with the cobras just sitting there.
Here ya go. http://www.centralvamustang.com/images/03_cobra/03cobra.htm

They aren't real good but seeing them is still cool as hell. I'm not ashamed to admit I've had a perpetual woody since Friday when my new 5.0/Supa Dupa Fords and MM&FF came in the mail:D:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys I am hoping to put together a web site with the 50 or so pictures I have. So I will provide the link when I can, soon. Working on the permission thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts