Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the car is on and its at a stand still, it refuses to go into any gear. But if the car is turned off it goes in just fine. And once you get the car moving, it goes into gears fine. Its just below about 10 mph when it gets to be a ***** and wont go in. So, I had to turn it off, put it in gear and start going and it shifts fine.

Just got a new clutch put in a while back, and I was told the stock cable/quadrant tends to stretch w/ aftermarket clutches. Could this be a result of it? Theres also a sound coming that sounds like the t/o bearing but a little lower pitched when the clutch is out and when I called Centerforce they said thats most likely because the cable is stretched or grease in the diaphram. Because of the two similarities, Im leaning towards cable stretched- any ideas?

·
Registered
117 Posts
i just double clutch my car and then it goes right in. I also shift in to 3rd gear before i start out every time it seems to line up the gears. I is what works on my car i hope it helps you out. I don't beleave the cable is streched it seems to funny since i have never heard of it. I have had people say that the cable has broke but not streched. It should self adjust but lift up in the pedel ever once in awhile to be sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard alot about the stretching matter. Its also not a double clutching issue. I've had that happen sometimes before and it fixed it. But this time, no matter how many times I pop the clutch in and out it wont let me go into gear. And sometimes when I come to a stop it will but its REALLY tough to get in.

Also tried pullin out couple times today too, didn't work :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
you need a new pressure plate. you are draggin the clutch just enough to keep the synros from stopping it. Keep that up and youll need a trans rebuild.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I got the new clutch it came a/ a pressure plate and that was installed as well...

So you're saying Im going to have to buy a new pressure plate and get that installed? The one that came w/ it is fried? ugh... :(

I haven't been driving it around like that. Just noticed that problem and headed straight home and its been parked there since.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep- the Dual Friction w/ orange pressure plate. Got it installed about 800 miles back. Just got done w/ the 500 mile break in and pushed it a few times to feel my new gears and now this... :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hard to get into gear after a stop? First gear or any gear, reverse? Maybe the pilot bearing failed? Try some high rpm shifts and then check the clutch pedal for adjustment. Those clutch are soft at low rpms and heavy at high rpms. Maybe just needs to be broken in a different way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The slower the car is moving, the harder it gets to shift and eventaully (under 10mph or so) you can't get it into any gear. This includes 1-5 and R. But once going it starts to shift better. Its a little notchy and then starts getting smoother. It took it to about 6k and shifted from 2nd to 3rd and it went right in w/o any problems at all.

My guess is the darn clutch cable stretched. Lot of people I spoke to say that the stock cable is known for stretching w/ aftermarket clutches. I just haven't been able to get in touch w/ anyone of them whos cable has actually stretched to see if this was one of the effects. Im hoping thats all it is, be a relatively cheap/easy fix.

However, I don't know squat about clutches. So Im still taking in ideas. Do you think I should go ahead and order a Steeda Clutch Cable and install it- and see if it cures the problem? How hard are clutch cables to install? Would it be something I could do?

If you got AIM or something, I'd like to talk to you abit about it. varun256 is my SN. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts