Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to be as informative as possible.
I own a 2005 V6 mustang, 155,000KMs on it.
Prior to the problem I am currently in, I press on the clutch pedal and its nice and firm. I am able to feel the engagement of each and every gear.

Yesterday I took my stang out for a drive, it drove as it normally would, however 7 minutes into driving I noticed the rpms got higher and I needed to give more gas then usual per gear. I stopped the car, restarted, and started driving from gear 1. The clutch immediately got soft, I struggled to find the engagement point in gear 1 because it wouldn't stall in gear 1, 2, or 3 (I didn't test gear4 or 5).

THE WHOLE TRANNY FEELS SOFT!

I am just clueless as to what the problem may be. If its a sign of a clutch needing replacement, shouldn't it SLOWLY show signs of clutch ware and not happen suddenly?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Do you see any fluid underneath the car? Have you checked to see if there's fluid in the master cylinder reservoir?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply phatboy!

I did see some liquid on the ground a week ago, I ignored it, and didn't pay attention any other time.

I have a engine light on (Just a week ago), I checked it today and it read: "P0456 evaporative emission system leak detected". I am not sure if its related.

Is the master cylinder reservoir located near the brake reservoir?

·
Registered
519 Posts
On a '06 i worked on the brake master cylinder has a hose that feeds under the dash to the clutch master cylinder. So check your brake fluid level in your brake master cylinder. Also check for any obvious fluid leaking under the transmission, spicifically near the bellhousing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It sounds like the clutch is slipping from the thing about the RPM getting higher and it not stalling.

If the hydraulic clutch leaked onto the clutch disc, it could cause slipping as well as a soft pedal... but a collapsed clutch pressure plate could also be at fault. Those can happen suddenly with no warning.

That is, of course, assuming these models have hydraulic clutches-- I don't know that they do, other than what previous posters wrote. The drippage under the car could be water from a/c condensation if he was using that.

If it was just the hydraulic clutch leaking and not oiling down the pressure plate, it would make the clutch difficult to disengage, so there would be grinding during shifting, not the slipping symptoms he is describing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts