Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a paxton SN-89 on my Coupe and now the clutch slips randomly. Right after I got the blower on I got on the interstate and when I stepped down on it in 5th gear it slipped all the way to redline. The next few times it wouldn't slip. Later in the day it started slipping some again. Could this be a bad quadrant or something else? The clutch is motorsport and looked great when I had the tranny out a few weeks ago.
thanks
Mark

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
you losin boost at all? maybe belt slipping and not clutch? more info please :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hows the rearmain seal? Could be some oil flinging on the pressure plate, from a leaky rearmain, causing hotspots, If its a new clutch, that usually means the clutch is covered in oil, or the clutch is on its last leg..

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
When your under boost the pressure is releasing oil from the rear main like listed above and you clutch is slipping in the sludge.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The belt is tight and not slipping, boost doesn't fall off. Also I just had the transmission out a few weeks ago replacing the front bearing retainer and the rear main seal is not leaking

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
VIPERBLUELX said:
The belt is tight and not slipping, boost doesn't fall off. Also I just had the transmission out a few weeks ago replacing the front bearing retainer and the rear main seal is not leaking
This leads me to believe you could have a front seal leak. I have heard of people replacing (me included) the front steel bearing retainer and still having a leak. I had a front tranny leak once, and leaked all over my clutch, and did the same thing you are describing.

put something clean under your car, such as fresh cardboard, and watch for any tranny fluid dripping.

Also, beware, this is how I toasted my tranny. All the fluid leaked out, I wasn't aware, and the trans blew. This MAY not be the problem, but just to be on the safe side, I would check the fluid level of the trans, as if it already leaked out, it may not drip anymore.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sounds to me like you need a clutch and pressure plate.
You say the clutch 'looked' fine. Did you replace the pressure plate when the clutch was done?
A wore out stock pressure plate is useless with a blower.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Problem clutches, poorly adjusted, oil or grease, tend to slip in the higher gears first.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are no leaks anywhere. I had the car on our lift today and went all up under it. I pulled the inspection plate off and it's dry in there also. The clutch is a Ford Motorsport heavy duty, it's not a stock clutch. I do however have the stock quadrant and i'm gonna replace it with all the UPR stuff one day this week.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got it out again tonight and drove around. The car blows the tires off in 1st and 2nd with no slippage. There is slight slippage in 3rd sometimes but not bad. In 4th gear it's the worse, it slips almost everytime I step on it hard. For some odd reason I'm not getting any burnt clutch smell at all though.

·
Registered
831 Posts
As long as the clutch pedal is all the way released, and the cable is not hanging up- you can bet the pressure plate is not putting enuf pressure on the clutch/flywheel.
Get underneath the car and make sure the cable and fork are fully disengaging. If they are, you need a new clutch and plate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts