Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Spec stage 1 and a new Ford flywheel on my 5.0. Everything was installed correctly.
Being new to a manual transmission, I thought I was the problem, but there are some obvious things that aren't my fault...might not even be the clutch's fault...read along please:

The engine boggs when in 1st or 2nd and at low RPM's...unless I'm accelerating. It'll go from 0 RPM to 1500 RPM.

Starting from a stop is very difficult. Somebody who knows how to drive a manual is also having trouble. It's possible to get going from a start, but very difficult. The engine always wants to stall, and if you give it more than 2000 RPM the clutch slips completely, not catching. Forget about starting uphill.
*I try to give between 1000 and 1500 RPM.

The only thing the damn thing does right is downshift!

What's going on? I know you have to break it in for 300 miles with "off idle" throttle, and that's what I'm doing. But I'm smelling so much clutch that I don't think I'll get to enjoy the clutch before I need a new one.

Again, it's installed correctly...new flywheel, cleaned with break cleaner, same for pressure plate. Tightened to specs, and properly as to not warp anything. Everything works properly, it's just slipping so much from a stop that I don't think I'll get to 300 miles.

I haven't driven a 5.0 before I put this clutch in, but I know it's slipping a lot during normal driving (as if I had a 4.56 gear in the rear end). I expected that though. It's the off-the-line shennanigans that are really ticking me off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what it's made of.
I'm running a T-5 with unknown gears. They must be stock based on my speed, RPM, and expected clutch slipping which other people have experienced.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Stock gears will most likley be 2.73.
How much clutch pedal free play do you have?
Where does the clutch start to engage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a GT...wouldn't it be 3.23?
There's clutch disengagement throughout the whole pedal travel. It starts to engage almost immediately after I start letting up the pedal. When the pedal is down all the way, it's disengaged. When it's up all the way, it's engaged fully...I can tell because the clutch fork is not 100% rigid when the pedal is up all the way; it can be moved slightly. And I know it's fully disengaged when down because the RPM's are all the way down to idle and on a flat road you don't move at all when in gear with the pedal depressed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a GT...wouldn't it be 3.23?
There's clutch disengagement throughout the whole pedal travel. It starts to engage almost immediately after I start letting up the pedal. When the pedal is down all the way, it's disengaged. When it's up all the way, it's engaged fully...I can tell because the clutch fork is not 100% rigid when the pedal is up all the way; it can be moved slightly. And I know it's fully disengaged when down because the RPM's are all the way down to idle and on a flat road you don't move at all when in gear with the pedal depressed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dont know what much else to tell you. You know for sure that the clutch was installed right. The clutch was designed for your car. And your clutch has the proper free play. Hope you figure it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts