Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any hints on how this is wired? It seems that one side has a 4 volts on it when the key is on. I wound up bypassing the unit but am afraid I will need it to pass inspection. My V8 harness is from a 91 and the car is an 89 notch that had a 4 cyl. I am still using the dash and body harnesses from the 89.
Erich

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i never hooded mine up & dont have inspection problems. are you using a 91 engine harness in an 89? they are not that compatable & you will run into connector problems & fuel pump problems having to do w/ the relay. if this is what you are doing i suggest gettibg an engine harness from an 89 to make things alot easier.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just trying to make sure that I pass. I saw "neutral safety switch" on the inspection check list for MD. I know that thing should be for autos but.......

As far as the 91 harness on the 89-They are compatible if you make them that way. The fuel pump relay was an interesting one. The wires don't hook up directly but just swap one out of one harness into the other and it works. I'm making it sound pretty easy but it took me a bit to figure that one. So now, all is running thru the fp relay like it should. Turn the key on and pump runs for 2 sec and shuts off. The wires were also the wrong color. I have all the smog hooked up on the car and have it running without check engine lights etc. I had to get the smog stuff individually along with all the vacuum etc. Fortunately, there is no air cond on this one. Under the hood, there were a few key changes in wiring by the mbc. I disassembled one connector and reassemmbled the correct wires. I guess I just find this stuff amusing-I know there are much easier ways.
Erich

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
yup, your sure did it the hard way. i used an 89 harness in my 88 & all i did was just plug it in & has worked mint since. good job on figuring that out! we should start our own thread on all of our conversion cars. not many people know these cars as well as us conversion guys so soon youll be answering all the questions for this stuff. got any pics?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I have a ton of pics. What in particular? I can e-mail em to you.
My car has the march type of ac delete-where the ps pump is still low. You get a good bit of room in there with no AC. Eventually, I will move the battery to the trunk.

They could actually have a 4 cyl to 8 cyl swap forum. For sure, you learn stuff that you would never know about the cars otherwise. I can help when something breaks-even on an non swapped car.
Erich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts