Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,253 Posts
I finally just did the AOD to T-5 wiring swap last week 5 years after I did the tranny swap. I'd worry about the wiring last. But if you need to know now, pull your driver side kick panel and look at the wiring harness plug end. If you have this wiring harness plug end on your 86', then the 87-93 T-5 wiring harness will work.
Automotive tire Gas Electrical wiring Cable Auto part

· Registered
2,253 Posts
Did that wiring swap finally, thinking that it would cure the cold start surging idle for the first few minutes in the winter time. Nope still does it. Guess I need a tune to get rid of it but I'm not going to tune it. I'll just deal with the surging cold start Idle I've been dealing with. Maybe I will put 19lb injectors back in it. It just does it that first start of the day. :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,253 Posts
I'd like to know the manufacture date of your 86'? Because it has the large connector harness plug for the AOD like from the early 80's up to 85' cars I thought. Maybe they extended the use of these connectors into early 86'. Is it an early in the year production 86'? I happen to have a T-5 wiring harness pig tail for that large plug connector if you end up keeping the harness that's in the car.

· Registered
2,253 Posts
See attached picture. Does this harness look like the NSS harness that I need to install for my T5 transmission (which replaces the existing AOD harness that is running to through the trans tunnel)? I don't have a wiring diagram for the harness.
View attachment 1092605
That harness is the 87-93 harness with the 87-93 T-5 pig tail attached. Will it work in an 86? Its going to be trial and error. Its going to be too long but if it does work just have to loop the wiring under the carpet somewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts