Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a new King Cobra clutch kit in my car and now I have no clutch adjustment. With the adjustable clutch cable loose in the clutch fork the clutch still catches way high. Anybody have any ideas what my problem may be?

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Moving to General Tech... please keep Engine Tech, engine related.

SVT

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
It is common for the kc clutches to make the cable too long.

If you don't have an alum quadrant with a firewall adjuster, I would suggest that route. It will give you the adjustability you are looking for.

The steeda and upr kit are very cheap, and are probably the two most popular

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got an alum quadrant with the cable adjustment at the clutch fork and there is still alot of threads on the adjusting rod. If I was out of thread I would buy another cable. I was wondering if the pressure plate would be bad. The quadrant and cable would adjust with the old set-up. I had the tranny out so I though I would go ahead and replace the clutch ass'y.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
so your saying, with the cable completely slack, with no tension on it, the pedal grabs real high like it is adjusted too tightly??

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I'm not sure why I am the only one replying to this, however, here are a few questions

Where does the clutch pedal sit in relation to the gas pedal?? A clutch pedal with a lot of slack in the cable will tend to sit much higher than the gas pedal.

With the cable loose, do you feel slack then it gets harder all of a sudden?? In other words, can you feel the slack in the cable till it gets tight??

I think your cable may be routed wrong, causing binding. What you are describing is an adjustment that is too tight. Also, keep in mind, that it is supposed to engage past half way up.

I really think that your cable may be binding somewhere. If it was my car, I would ditch the adjustable cable, get an oem cable, and use a firewall adjuster.

Also, crawl under their, remove the cover over the cable, and see if you can see the pressure plate and throwout bearing. Have a buddy step on the clutch pedal, while you watch it's movement. Is it getting full movement?? If you can positively eliminate the cable setup, then you likely have an internal problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts