Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every one, first i want to say i did a search. I have a stock clutch, with a stock adjustable cable (second one, kinda old). My pedal "feels" like the worst clutch i have ever used. I have adjusted it, and adjusted it, and it keeps getting this way. I have the factory worn out plastic quadrant that doesn't do anything. My pedal feels like it only moves ~2 inches when gonig from top to bottom. And it's VERY stiff, and has no feel to it. So when i adjust it, it brings the engaging point to about 1/2 off the floor, where i like it, but then after a while it goes back to feeling like crap. So i adjust it again, and keep repeating the process. Now I am at the end of the adjuster. But i am worried about adjusting it too much, and breaking the clutch. aka. it gets so adjusted that it wears the clutch out and slips. Can this happen, or can you adjust the clutch all you want and it's fine. I want to get an adjustable cable with new metal quad (aka FMS, steeda ect ect). If I do this, and adjust the clutch to engage where I like it, will it eventually break? Or is it my cable that keeps stretching, not my clutch. My clutch does NOT slip at all right now. WIll a new cable fix my HARD MUSSHY pedal, and with out eventually breaking the clutch. SOrry for my ignorance. Adam

·
Registered
94 Posts
That plastic clutch quadrant is adjustable as well, but it's kind of hard to explain, there is like a plastic j hook looking thing under the dash on the quadrant you need to hold that with one hand and lift the pedal with the other, works like a ratchet and you will hear a clicking noise as you do so. Like I said kinda hard to explain but once you do it, you can do it without even looking the second time, it's a feel thing. Do a search for clutch quadrandt adjustment I'm sure there is a better explanation around. BUT it probably won't hold depending on the age of the quadrant and such, they wear out and are pretty useless. thats what your sounds like, useless and wore out...good luck

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, get yourself an aluminum quadrant. It makes a huge difference. Especially if you ever switch over to a more aggressive after-market clutch. It's a bit of a pain to install (lots of contortion involved, even with the driver's seat out) but well worth the effort. As for the stiff clutch at the moment: it could well be the fault of the cable. You may have a bind in it somewhere. Check out your routing of the cable and try to keep it away from excessive heat i.e. headers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Adam,

I experienced the same exact problem. The cable is binding up and will snap anytime now (they stretch, fray and finally ... tink). You'll probably need a new one. Try unbolting the bracket that holds the cable to the driver's side fender well and just let it dangle (I'm going to make one that's longer and holds the cable further over, next to the header). Make sure the cable is routed as smoothly as possible. I think mine is routed right next to the oil pan above the cross member. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
the stock clutch is not really adjustable in the sense that the aftermarket ones are.

The teeth on the plastic quadrant are likely stripped, and it won't hold an adjustment.

pick up a steeda double hook alum. quadrant w/ firewall adj. and use stock non adjustable cable.

I also agree, watch the routing of the cable, if it is routed too close to the firewall, it will do this also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts