Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ive posted about this before, but my clutch pedal is really pissing me off. I have replaced the cable, quad, and adjuster. The clutch is still harder to depress than stock and it feels like I have to "ride" the clutch to get it out. Thats the only way I can describe it. Anyone know what this might mean or how I can fix it?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Hey Black01Gt,

I had the same problem with my car after the tranny swap. I tried everything as well. Tried 3 different Clutch cables. 2 different quadrants, Firewall adjuster.... etc.... Nothing worked...
The clutch was still harder than hell to push down....

Well, one day I thought the only reason that damn clutch is so hard to push down is because of either a damn hard Pressure plate or a problem with the Throwout bearing....
I knew that the King Cobra Pressure plate is not that hard so I suspected there must be something wrong with the TO bearing.
Well, before taking the damn thing apart and replacing the bearing I thought I try something.

Put the car on some Ramps, Crawled underneath the car to the opening by the Clutch fork... (You may have to take your Dust Cover off the clutch fork held in by one bolt) I don't have a Dust Cover.... Anyway... I looked up in there and saw the TO bearing and the pressure plate. I took some White Lithium Grease and liberally sprayed White Lithium Grease onto the input shaft and TO bearing. This was a Longshot.... but believe it or not it paid off big time... I mean prior to doing this I had to push myself back into the seat to make that clutch pedal move.... After greasing the TO bearing with the White Lithium stuff the pedal was a soft as Butter to push down... It was like day and night....
I couldn't believe it.... That was way too easy......
Took it for a test drive and I could finally release the clutch more precisely and the car shifted a lot better... I was totally amazed and a very happy camper....

I talked to the mechanic that installed the tranny and I told him that he forgot to grease the TO bearing prior to installing it...
And he said no way.. however he admitted that he may have used to heavy of a grease for the bearing and that's way I had all this trouble... Excuses, Excuses... Well, I didn't really care at the time.. I was just happy that it finally loosened up and the pressure was very similar to stock... Nothing like it was before..

Been driving it on and off in this horrible weather we've been having and so far so good. Didn't have to go down and regrease it yet. Everything is smooth sailing....

Give it a try... What do you have to loose?
Don't use WD-40 or any other liquid type oil or grease that will evaporate... Use a good White Lithium grease that will not dry up.

Good Luck and let me know if it works...

Tom in Indy

PS: Make sure you hit the TO bearing and use one of those Red extension nozzles to get up in there...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
You can also try pulling the cable out and spray lithum grease into the cable housing and work it in. Sometimes the cable will not move freely and this makes it much smoother.

I tried what Tom suggested and it helped a little but still didn't solve the issue for me.

In the end for me the pressure plate failed and I had to replace it and the clutch pedal went back to normal.

Bill

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mustang92 said:
You can also try pulling the cable out and spray lithum grease into the cable housing and work it in. Sometimes the cable will not move freely and this makes it much smoother.

I tried what Tom suggested and it helped a little but still didn't solve the issue for me.

In the end for me the pressure plate failed and I had to replace it and the clutch pedal went back to normal.

Bill
I thought the LT's may have been the culprit, frying the cable. When I replaced it all the first time the pedal seemed to have a much lighter feel, but after driving a friends 02 GT yesterday there is such a huge difference. Its hard to describe the other problem, but especially from a stop going into first, it feels like I have to ride the clutch to get into first.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sting said:
Hey Black01Gt,

I had the same problem with my car after the tranny swap. I tried everything as well. Tried 3 different Clutch cables. 2 different quadrants, Firewall adjuster.... etc.... Nothing worked...
The clutch was still harder than hell to push down....

Well, one day I thought the only reason that damn clutch is so hard to push down is because of either a damn hard Pressure plate or a problem with the Throwout bearing....
I knew that the King Cobra Pressure plate is not that hard so I suspected there must be something wrong with the TO bearing.
Well, before taking the damn thing apart and replacing the bearing I thought I try something.

Put the car on some Ramps, Crawled underneath the car to the opening by the Clutch fork... (You may have to take your Dust Cover off the clutch fork held in by one bolt) I don't have a Dust Cover.... Anyway... I looked up in there and saw the TO bearing and the pressure plate. I took some White Lithium Grease and liberally sprayed White Lithium Grease onto the input shaft and TO bearing. This was a Longshot.... but believe it or not it paid off big time... I mean prior to doing this I had to push myself back into the seat to make that clutch pedal move.... After greasing the TO bearing with the White Lithium stuff the pedal was a soft as Butter to push down... It was like day and night....
I couldn't believe it.... That was way too easy......
Took it for a test drive and I could finally release the clutch more precisely and the car shifted a lot better... I was totally amazed and a very happy camper....

I talked to the mechanic that installed the tranny and I told him that he forgot to grease the TO bearing prior to installing it...
And he said no way.. however he admitted that he may have used to heavy of a grease for the bearing and that's way I had all this trouble... Excuses, Excuses... Well, I didn't really care at the time.. I was just happy that it finally loosened up and the pressure was very similar to stock... Nothing like it was before..

Been driving it on and off in this horrible weather we've been having and so far so good. Didn't have to go down and regrease it yet. Everything is smooth sailing....

Give it a try... What do you have to loose?
Don't use WD-40 or any other liquid type oil or grease that will evaporate... Use a good White Lithium grease that will not dry up.

Good Luck and let me know if it works...

Tom in Indy

PS: Make sure you hit the TO bearing and use one of those Red extension nozzles to get up in there...
Thanks Ill try that.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Black01GT4.6 said:
I thought the LT's may have been the culprit, frying the cable. When I replaced it all the first time the pedal seemed to have a much lighter feel, but after driving a friends 02 GT yesterday there is such a huge difference. Its hard to describe the other problem, but especially from a stop going into first, it feels like I have to ride the clutch to get into first.
Well, it will never be as light as a crappy stock clutch.... That is if you are running an aftermarket Pressure plate and Friction disk.
You can come close but the Aftermarket Pressure plates are usually a lot stronger and therefor offer a somewhat harder resistance... However, it should never be a chore to push down on the pedal.... Mine was where Arnold Schwarzenegger would've had trouble pushing that clutch in... I bought 3 different cables and rerouted several times to make sure they would have no bend or are routed the path of least resistance but nothing worked... My shop that put in the tranny just didn't properly grease the TO bearing... they may have greased the Input shaft but perhaps forgot the bearing all together... Who knows.... All I know after spraying the TO bearing with White Lithium Grease the bearing loosened up a lot and there was a hell of a lot less pedal pressure.. And it's smooth all the way down. Feels actually better than a stock clutch.... I have driven my friends 2000 Gt and Yes, his clutch is so light that I can push it down with my little pinky... almost too soft. My clutch now feels just right and it's about 1000 times ligher than before....

If you don't have a bad pressure plate I bet you that the Lithium grease will help you a bunch....

Good Luck!

Tom

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sting said:
Well, it will never be as light as a crappy stock clutch.... That is if you are running an aftermarket Pressure plate and Friction disk.
You can come close but the Aftermarket Pressure plates are usually a lot stronger and therefor offer a somewhat harder resistance... However, it should never be a chore to push down on the pedal.... Mine was where Arnold Schwarzenegger would've had trouble pushing that clutch in... I bought 3 different cables and rerouted several times to make sure they would have no bend or are routed the path of least resistance but nothing worked... My shop that put in the tranny just didn't properly grease the TO bearing... they may have greased the Input shaft but perhaps forgot the bearing all together... Who knows.... All I know after spraying the TO bearing with White Lithium Grease the bearing loosened up a lot and there was a hell of a lot less pedal pressure.. And it's smooth all the way down. Feels actually better than a stock clutch.... I have driven my friends 2000 Gt and Yes, his clutch is so light that I can push it down with my little pinky... almost too soft. My clutch now feels just right and it's about 1000 times ligher than before....

If you don't have a bad pressure plate I bet you that the Lithium grease will help you a bunch....

Good Luck!

Tom
Cool, where can I get some lithium grease?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Black01GT4.6 said:
Cool, where can I get some lithium grease?
Pretty much anywhere.... I got a can at Autozone... But I am sure that Pep Boys or any Car Part store will carry it..
Even K-Mart or Target probably will have it...
Make sure it's White Lithium Grease... It doesn't dry up and lasts a long time unlike other clear lubes like WD-40 etc....

Good Luck ;)

And let us know if that did the trick....

PS: Once you spray it in up there. Work the clutch Pedal a bit and it should loosen right up .....

Tom

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sting said:
Pretty much anywhere.... I got a can at Autozone... But I am sure that Pep Boys or any Car Part store will carry it..
Even K-Mart or Target probably will have it...
Make sure it's White Lithium Grease... It doesn't dry up and lasts a long time unlike other clear lubes like WD-40 etc....

Good Luck ;)

And let us know if that did the trick....

PS: Once you spray it in up there. Work the clutch Pedal a bit and it should loosen right up .....

Tom
Whats the t/o bearing look like from under there by the fork.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Black01GT4.6 said:
Whats the t/o bearing look like from under there by the fork.
Can't miss it.... First take off your Clutch Fork Dust Cover..
It's held in by one small bolt..

Then just spray the White Lithium Grease up in the opening.
The T/O Bearing is attached to the Clutchfork and slides back and forth on the input shaft to put pressure on the Pressure plate to disengage the clutch... Once you look up in there you will see what I mean... The TO bearing is the round thingy on the input shaft.... Just blast it with the stuff and you should be fine. ;)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sting said:
Can't miss it.... First take off your Clutch Fork Dust Cover..
It's held in by one small bolt..

Then just spray the White Lithium Grease up in the opening.
The T/O Bearing is attached to the Clutchfork and slides back and forth on the input shaft to put pressure on the Pressure plate to disengage the clutch... Once you look up in there you will see what I mean... The TO bearing is the round thingy on the input shaft.... Just blast it with the stuff and you should be fine. ;)
Cool, sounds good. Im gonna go try it right now. Ill report back in a few :cool:

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
One more thing... Wear some googles or be careful not to get any of the White Lithium Grease into your eyes... That stuff burns like hell.... Been there done that :D ....

Good Luck...

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts