Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a re occurring issue with my 93 fox. When things are warmed up I get a pop when the clutch pedal is half way down on its stroke to the floor. If I push slowly on the pedal it is ok. Once cooled off it goes away. It has done it with the last trans (astro a5) and centerforce clutch setup. On my 3rd maximum motorsports cable thinking it was something with that. Current setup is brand new tremec tkx and mcleod rst twin disk clutch and new fork. I have long tubes on car and the header tube gets close to the cable. I have insulated the cable with a dei exo sleeve as well as header wrap and an aluminum sleeve around the cable. Also wrapped the header tube near the cable. IN addition I installed a small phenolic spacer from maximum motorsports at the end of the cable where it enters the QuickTime bellhousing. Cable is brand new and I am using the maximum motorsports firewall adjuster and quadrant. The pop sound seems like it's under the car but maybe it's at the pedal and being amplified down the cable to the fork? I was going to try new clutch pedal bushings next?. The car is well built and with very good components . Maximum motorsports says they haven't heard of this. It will do it with the engine running as well as when the engine is off but only once up to a higher temp. After cooldown its silent. I am at a loss here as to what is going on

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update. Car has cooled off in my garage for 2 hours. With engine off I pushed down the clutch pedal several times . At first no noise then after a few more times pushing quickly on the pedal I got it to start making the noise again. Sounds like the fork to me but not sure. Throw out bearing is only a couple hundred miles old including the rest of the clutch components and the trans. Throw out bearing is positioned properly in fork and fork positioned properly on ball stud. This is crazy. Does anyone think if the pedal bushings are bad it can amplify along the cable down to the fork?

· Registered
36 Posts
Is the quadrant properly shimmed? What I mean is, is it in the same plane as the cable where it comes out of the firewall? I had this issue and I destroyed a cable before I figured out what the issue was. What would happen is the Cable would come out of the groove on the quadrant and ride along the outer edge and then pop back in place

· Registered
2,882 Posts
my guess is the throw out bearing is binding on the bearing retainer or the retainer is worn. How new is the bearing retainer. Did you put a small amount of grease around the retainer and inside the bearing when it was assembled? Those bearing retainers are known to wear and can cause some bind. Either that or its a problem with the clutch pressure plate. It might be time to pull it apart and inspect. How long has the issue been going on?

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's done it with a different clutch setup as well as this one. Bearing retainer is new as well as the tkx trans. Has 400 miles on it. Also did this with a different trans. Yes light amount of grease was used on retainer and Bearing. Perhaps I need a little more on there. I wonder if I can smear a little on there through the fork hole. The hole in the bell is rather large and gives a good view of the fork and retainer.

· Registered
2,110 Posts
Check the clutch pedal assembly for slop which would include the quadrant. Noises like that can translate all over the car.

· Registered
2,253 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I don't try to shim the aftermarket Clutch Quadrant's. I put them in there, put the Cotter pins/"R" pins in and I let it free float, let it self align. No popping or alignment or cable issues.

· Registered
2,110 Posts
Just in case, I was not inferring to shimming the quadrant but was referring to wear either on the pin the quadrant rides on (pretty unlikely) or the hole in the aftermarket quadrant itself being worn or the bushings that the clutch pedal pin rides on in the pedal box being worn out or missing (have seen this). Another thing that could be making that noise is the clutch stop which is bolted to the pedal box so it could be moving and making that noise but that is a crap shoot.

· Registered
115 Posts
How is the cable it self? Relatively new? Odd it would be happening again with a different trans/clutch combo than used before. Would make me look into the cable and clutch pedal movement if it is getting "bound" on some wiring or something.

· Registered
7 Posts
Cable is new within 150 miles. Funny thing tonight I tried it again (car has been in the garage since 5 pm yesterday and not started). I pushed the clutch pedal down (with engine off) maybe 10 times with no noise. Then gradually I heard the pop sound Start (quietly at first) when pressing the pedal down and then increasing in volume with each press after that until the sound level stayed consistent. So strange.

· Registered
115 Posts
Can you feel it? As in, does the pedal get a little harder to push right before it pops? Does the pedal movement feel normal?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts