Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i press down my clutch pedal it feels sloppy not smooth when the car is on. But when i shut the car off and press the clutch its smooth. Also when i let the clutch all the way out i hear a pop sometimes. What is going on? Also it is hard to get it into 1st and reverse sometimes from a dead stop, but if im rolling slightly it will go into gear perfectly fine. The clutch was replaced in september with a McCleod Dual Friction and the clutch cable was replaced with a stock cable from ford. The car has 85k miles and the new T-56 has about 5k on it. Do i need to replace the cable? or can it be the quadrent? or something else?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Try changing our transmission fluid. It should improve shifting. Not enough people change their fluidly regularly enough.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just switched to GM synchromesh about 2 months ago. That still doesnt explain why the clutch feels sloppy when the car is on. Thanks though.

EDIT: Just went back out to the car again. I also noticed it is very hard to get the tranny in gear with the car running from, but when you drive it shifts fine, only when you are stopped sometimes, not all the time, you have to kind of force it into gear. But as soon as i shut the car off it shifts as smooth as butter. Is this clutch/flywheel related?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Sounds like the cable is improperly adjusted, or the pressure plate is not releasing completely for whatever reason. The fact that the clutch is not completley disengaged is demonstrated by the fact that it's difficult to get the car in gear when it's running and the clutch is depressed.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It's very difficult for me to say. You might scrunch yourself up and crawl under the dash and check the stock quadrant - kind of work it around, get familiar with how it operates and adjusts, and then you should be able to tell if it's at the end of its adjustment.

Doesn't surprise me - if you have a stiffer clutch and the stock quad, the cable can be stretched (don't overlook that), or the thing may have adjusted all it can...Have you tried to manually adjust it? Or pulling up on the pedal?

You also could have a defective finger on the pressure plate that's causing the thing to fail to disengage when the pedal is pressed. But basically, if you're depressing the clutch to the floor, and it's hard to get in gear when running, but not when the engine is stopped - that says that definitely your clutch is not fully disengaging when you press the pedal.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the lift up the pedal adjustment and its still the same. I have tried to adjust manually under the dash but it always clicks back to the same spot. It seems like there is more room for adjustment on there again. Also i got under the car and popped off the cover for the clutch cable and looked at the Pressure plate while someone pressed the clutch and everything "looked" fine nothing was broken or anything.

So you if you are saying that the clutch is not fully disengaging, that would mean either 1. The cable is stretched, or 2. the t/o bearing is causing it? right?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Well this is basically what I just went through and after replacing and adjusting everything the problem has come down to pressure plate. My problem started a week and a half a go when my clutch pedal stuck to the floor during a 2-3 shift. The pedal came back a second later however from that point forward I noticed my pedal felt weird. Sometimes really lose, others really stiff and notchy almost like it was bound up somewhere. Having a stock T-45, Centerforce DF disk and FRPP pressure plate I figured it had to be cable, quadrant related since they were both stock.

I replaced the cable with a stock one and same problem plus got stranded and had to be towed because the only way to get into gear was to keep slamming the trans into gear...not good. Next I replaced the stock quadrant and put in an adjustable cable and firewall adjuster. I started off with lots of slack in the cable and adjusted it perfectly for the street. It seemed okay but still kind of stiff. Then after 20 minutes of driving in traffic and 20-30 shifts the pedal went soft and would stop short of the floor. Also it would no longer disengage the clutch. I limped the car to a buddies and checked everything and you can't disengage the clutch and he clutch fork is fine as well as throw out bearing.

Bill

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the McClead Dual friction disk with the FRPP pressure plate. If i replace the Pressure plate which should i go with? I dont want to have to drive around like this much longer, especially since the T-56 wasnt a cheap tranny i dont want to ruin it. Its pretty much 1st gear and reverse that are hard cause those gears are the gears i obviously use when im stopped, once the car gets going it shifts normal. Your problem is almost identical to mine, ive never gotten stuck though (knock on wood) but on occassion i have powershifted the car and the pedal went to the floor, i did the self adjust and it was back to normal. Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Wow, yeah I guess it could be the release bearing. More often than not, they just start making lots of noise and are a nusiance.

don't really know what to tell you.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called D&D about my problem today, they are the ones i got the tranny and clutch from. He told me that the quadrent is worn out and will not let the clutch disengage all the way. the quadrent does have 85k miles on it. I ordered a Steeda quadrent with firewall adjuster today. I was gonna get the UPR but it is on backorder for 3 weeks, i dont really want to wait. I will let you guys know on Wednesday if it fixed my problem or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts