Every time I engage into first or down shift to a lower gear,

Theres a screach noise coming from *around the pedal area*

Is there anything I can adjust or anything that has to be changed

I have a King Cobra with about 6k miles on it

·
Registered
505 Posts
common squeak

a common squeak is when the clutch pedal is not being pressed in, and it is fully out,
and what happens is the throwout bearing makes contact with the pressure plate splines and it squeaks.

You will notice as soon as you start pushing the clutch in, and the throwout bearing makes contact with the pressure plate, then the squeaking immediately disappears.

i think many mustangs will have a throwout bearing squeak because the cable linkage does not automatically force the throwout bearing to "not be in contact" with the pressure plate (when the pedal is disengaged completely), because it doesn't use mechanical linkage to force it away when you are cruising around (and the clutch pedal is not being pushed in.)

the mustang cable picks up the slack under the dash using that spring loaded quadrant. the problem with that is, even though that mechanism picks up the slack in the cable, once it does that, it has now pulled the throwout bearing closer to the pressure plate. and thats bad because if for any reason you pull up on the clutch pedal and you hear it click, you could end up with the cable "too tight" and when you drive around the throwout bearing will be in constant contact with the pressure plate, when its NOT suppose to be. and after a while, the throwout bearing will get ruined and start squeaking.

this is a major design problem that ford should have fixed a long time ago. One thing they should do is just put a spring to pull the throwout bearing fork AWAY from the pressure plate when you do not have the clutch pedal pushed in. but i am pretty sure there is nothing inside the bellhousing to do that.

OLDER cars with no cable linkage didnt have to worry about a squeaking throwout bearing. those cars used a mechanical lever that automatically forced the throwout bearing far away from the pressure plate when the clutch pedal is fully disengaged.

If I had the time and money to redesign something to fix this problem I would. my throwout bearing used to squeak but eventually it stopped. i dont know why.

Anyway, remember: THE THROWOUT BEARING SQUEAK is totally a result of using a cable linkage to move the throwout bearing. That's the cause of it end of story. I wrote this long response so others will be aware of the REAL reason this problem exists. Maybe one of you guys can comment if I am right or wrong.

adios

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yea i have the same problem too. if i push in the clutch a litle the squeaking stops. Also, i noticed that when i pulled back the pedal from underneath with my foot that would stop it, but you said thats not a good idea so maybe i should not pull back on the pedal anymore?

i just ordered a steeda clutch quadrant and adjustable cable for like $80. if i use this and adjust the cable, would it help stop the squeaking?

i hate squaring up on a light with another racer and then having my car start squeaking! its embarrasing (expecially if you got a newer GT) and sounds hella ghetto!

·
Registered
505 Posts
The cable works....

Your Throwout bearing will be fine as long as you always make sure that you have some "free play" when you push down on the clutch pedal.

If you push down and notice you have a nice measure of slack before you have to put any real force on the pedal, then your throwout bearing should be Okay.

What you have to watch out for is when you pull "up" on the clutch pedal, and the quadrant goes "click", and then you might notice there is no "free play" when you touch the pedal. If that happens, you need to reach up under there and unhook the Paw on the quandrant and let the clutch pedal come down so you can have the free-play you need.

The free play keeps the throwout bearing AWAY from the pressure plate when you don't have the pedal pushed in. If you have no free-play, then your throw-out bearing will be constantly rubbing against the pressure plate (with a hard force, higher than what it should be) and this will eventually hurt the throw-out bearing.

So the clutch cable DOES work OKAY, just be sure you always have about I would say 1" or more freeplay otherwise the throwout bearing is getting way more contact against the pressure plate than it's supposed to. I am sure the bearing is allowed to lightly make contact against the pressure plate, i am just pretty sure its not supposed to be pushing HARD against the pressure plate while you are driving around. I'm not a total expert but at least one engineer I talked to where I work insisted the bearing shouldn't be touching the pressure plate if you don't have the clutch pedal pushed in. Sorry for the long response, just want to get my point across.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hocke0233 said:
Every time I engage into first or down shift to a lower gear,

Theres a screach noise coming from *around the pedal area*

Is there anything I can adjust or anything that has to be changed

I have a King Cobra with about 6k miles on it
I have this problem too.

The squeak even comes when the car is OFF. Just simply moving the clutch pedal causes a squeek. Just at the TOP of pedal travel.

Make sense?

BTW... the clutch is VERY hard to move...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Bump... never did get an answer to this.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Re: Re: Clutch is Squeaking

JSHTROD said:
I have this problem too.

The squeak even comes when the car is OFF. Just simply moving the clutch pedal causes a squeek. Just at the TOP of pedal travel.

Make sense?

BTW... the clutch is VERY hard to move...
I had a similar problem with the Throwoutbearing. The clutch was very hard to push down. Jack up the car take off the Clutch Fork Dust Cover and Liberally spray in some White Lithium Grease onto the TO Bearing.... That took care of my hard clutch pedal ;)

BTW, there is a Fix for the TO bearing rub that someone came up with. It's fairly simple and I did make a copy of that link... Just have to find it.. As soon as I do... I will post it...

Tom in Indy

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Re: Re: Clutch is Squeaking

sorry double post

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Clutch is Squeaking

Sting said:
BTW, there is a Fix for the TO bearing rub that someone came up with. It's fairly simple and I did make a copy of that link... Just have to find it.. As soon as I do... I will post it...

Tom in Indy
I look forward to seeing that link. :joy:

·
Registered
751 Posts
My dads makes a whining noise when it is cold. What the hell is that??? Once it warms up the whining goes away, but messing with the clutch seems to affect it, and also reving the motor makes it go away. Is that what you guys are talking about???

Rob

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
BoostedGT said:
My dads makes a whining noise when it is cold. What the hell is that??? Once it warms up the whining goes away, but messing with the clutch seems to affect it, and also reving the motor makes it go away. Is that what you guys are talking about???

Rob
Nope.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Bringing the thread back from the dead......

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My car goes in shortly ... and Im going to have them re look at it.

Last time i was there he said he just has to spray something and all will be fine.. hmmm we'll see

1 - 15 of 15 Posts