Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it was only a matter of time before my old cable snapped with it touching the header. threw in a new cable, and all of a sudden, it feels tight (too tight) and has an akward feel to it. my old cable felt a little like that but nowhere near as noticable, in fact it didnt bother me. now, my car is almost undrivable the clutch cable sucks so bad. i have a brand new spec stage I clutch, its been in the car over a year, but has less then a 100 miles on it. What is going on with my clutch cable. Please Help...

-craig

·
Registered
253 Posts
did ya replace the bearing retainer when ya did the clutch?
could be grooved (mine was bad) binding the TO brg and snapping your old cable
cause and effect you fixed the effect now find the cause

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, the only cable i could find between dealers and auto parts stores was a motormite one. i already have an aluminum quadrant. i honeslty thought the cable itself doesnt make a difference, its the quadrant (plastic to aluminum or whatever it is). when i replaced my clutch i replaced the TO bearing, and whatever else came with the spec clutch. i cant remember if the retainer was included

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Is it an adjustable cable? if so you may not have it adjusted properly at the fork

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Did you route it the same, or close? Sounds like it's binding on a too-tight radius somewhere.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
MFE said:
Did you route it the same, or close? Sounds like it's binding on a too-tight radius somewhere.
I'm with him, I think he nailed it right on. I routed mine wrong, and it was stiff as hell, and binding, you wind up stretching and breaking it in no time.

You may need to route it further forward then back.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am having trouble with my FMS adjustable cable. I'm going bac to the stocker and a firewall adjuster. Can't wait. I was binding like crazy getting out of first gear.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it comes out of the firwall, the bracket attaches to where the coil is, then runs down to the bellhousing. it isnt on too much of a curve. i dont know. i can shift fine. its releasing in the right spot now, the pedal is a nightmare to push down.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
It has to be routed between the steering components up front, not down anywhere near the headers.

It bolts onto the framerail below the coil, but still snakes forward more before going down and back.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, it is. and when its routed, the cable actually touches the steering column down near the bottom. its isnt forced anywhere, just kinda free-flowing, no sudden curves

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Touches the steering column?? If I have this pictured right, you have it routed inside the engine compartment, then going under close to the firewall??

Can you take a dig picture?

It goes down close to the front end, then under the car, not inside the engine compt, I don't think it would ever touch the steering column.

·
Registered
765 Posts
yeah, can someone show us a picture, I've been battling a stiff cable as well, and I've made sure its routed out as far as it will go.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have this problem. When I press the clutch it feels like I'm doing a one-legged press with 250lbs of weight. I have to push allllll (emphasis added) the way to the floor to get it in gear.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I can post a picture tomorrow if no one has by then.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
well, if you work fast within the next 30 mins, I can post it for you.

send it to [email protected]

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Hmmm, I will have to look at mine, and it is a little dark towards the bottom, but looks like your cable is bolted to the frame, then goes straight back.

What it should do is bolt to the frame, then go down and under the car, and follow the bottom of the car to the clutch, looks like you have the second half of the cable after where it bolts to the frame routed going back inside the engine compartment, is this correct???

Unbolt that thing, stick it down between the front end components, run it under the bottom of the car and straight back,
the way you have that makes a real harsh loop.

Of course, if that is the way it is, and the pic is too dark, let me know, If you can't get it, I can snap a pic poss. later tonight or tomorrow.

But looks like that thing is definetly routed wrong, that is originally how I had mine, and it took snapping 3 cables before I figured it out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah, i have it running right back. it def does not go out of the engine compartment then back. thanks. i'll fix it tommorow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts