Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much is any pre-load/tension to you put on your adjustable clutch cable?

I have been doing some searching and found conflicting things. Some people say that you need to have it totally release and other people say its built to have some pre-load from the factory.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
NO PRELOAD! Set for a full release adjusting free play so the pedal releases where you want.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.steeda.com/news/tech_articles/instructions_double_hook_quadrant.php

"6) Adjust the clutch by turning the Cable Adjuster. Be sure the clutch fully releases when the pedal is depressed, and the clutch is fully engaged with light tension on the cable when the pedal is released."

"Note: The clutch should be adjusted so there is no slack in the cable, and the cable is keeping constant light tension on the quadrant. "

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if i adjust my cable so there is no tension then i get this

:"The clutch should be adjusted so there is no slack in the cable, and the cable is keeping constant light tension on the quadrant. The tension on the cable keeps the quadrant from moving on the shaft.....It may also result in a vibrating clutch pedal or rattle under the dash."

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any ideas?

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
1,020 Posts
The factory design, designed by Ford engineers, keeps a VERY LIGHT preload on the cable via the spring built into the factory plastic quadrant self adjusting mechanism. Basicaly you want all the slack gone, but no extra preload.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I set mine up for about 1.5lbs of pre-load. Done with the firewall adjuster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts