Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Please forgive me if this has been addressed already, but I cannot seem to find a similar thread on any Mustang forum.

I recently installed a new Ford Racing stock replacement non-adjustable clutch cable, Steeda FWA and Ford racing aluminum clutch quadrant. I have a 1992 GT hatch that to the best of my knowledge has the stock clutch.

My problem is this: My clutch does not fully engage now, and I had no problems before undertaking this project. In fact, the car barely moves and the piss-poor engagement I get is at the top of the pedal's travel.

My friend has an 87 GT convertible with the SAME SETUP (same parts and all, except his FWA is a Summit Racing brand but is functionally the same and the dimensions are the same) and has no problems at all.

Before you ask, my FWA is turned all the way in to the firewall, my cable is connected to the hook closest to the firewall inside the car, and the cable is routed the same as the stock cable was, and the same as I have seen in pictures and on my friend's convertible. There is constant and very strong tension on the cable at all times on my car. I have to use a prybar on the fork to disconnect the cable, there is no slack whatsoever, even adjusted to the loosest it can be adjusted. It's as if the cable is too short.

Thanks for any help, I want to get my car back on the road! :livid::livid::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I had the same problems before on my 87 mustang (in sig) long time ago when i first started modifying it. I ended up buying an adjustable clutch cable and just adjusting it from there. Im sorry if that doesnt help you but heres my questions.

Was the quadrant installed correctly the best to your knowledge? Im not here questioning your competence just trying to help. Second does the quadrant have 2 hook settings on it? Where the cable hooks to? And lastly was this pedal assembly installed and not factory. Meaning did you do a T5 swap on it or something?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afraid I may have to buy an adjustable cable to solve the problem.... Do you have a suggestion of the most durable/reliable one? It's a real bummer since I spent $45 on a Ford cable and I understand those are the best.

Those are fair questions and I am not offended. I double, triple and quadruple checked the quadrant installation, and after comparing it to pictures and YouTube video, I'm confident it is correct.

The quadrant does have two hooks and I attached the cable to the one that is closest to the firewall, which is also recommended in the directions for the quadrant when using a stock cable and firewall adjuster.

Lastly, the car came equipped with the T-5 from the factory, so no swap.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
did you just replace the stock set up or what? also, what problems were you having that made you change the clutch cable in the first place?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, new cable same length as old cable.

Actually, I wasn't having any problem. I think I fixed it until it broke...

I just decided to swap my stock plastic quadrant for an aluminum one. Thought it would be more durable and it would be a fun project. Also figured I'd be prepared if I ever upgrade to a more serious clutch.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
just curious..did you cut off the three nubs off the cable before installing the fwa? also make sure the cable is all the way seated in the slot on the quadrant.
i dunno...just don't really see what the issue could be as this set up is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's even more frustating is that I stopped and picked up a new Ford adjustable cable from Summit tonight and it is the same length as well.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
so..your adjustable cable is the same length as the non-adjustable? does the adjustable have the 2 nuts on the end where the non-adjustable does not?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
UPDATE

I took a better look at the adjustable cable tonight and it was indeed longer. I installed it and it works flawlessly with a pretty nice range of adjustment at the firewall. She's back on the road now and feels great! :joy:

Summary: It seems a stock clutch cable will not ALWAYS work with a FWA and aluminum quadrant. Anyone want to buy a brand new Ford Racing non-adjustable clutch cable for a 79-04 Mustang??? :lol:

Thank you to everyone for their input and advice!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I took a better look at the adjustable cable tonight and it was indeed longer. I installed it and it works flawlessly with a pretty nice range of adjustment at the firewall. She's back on the road now and feels great! :joy:

Summary: It seems a stock clutch cable will not ALWAYS work with a FWA and aluminum quadrant. Anyone want to buy a brand new Ford Racing non-adjustable clutch cable for a 79-04 Mustang??? :lol:

Thank you to everyone for their input and advice!
Im currently using a stock replacement/length pos advanced auto cable with my steeda double hook quadrant and fwa adjuster without an issue other then the cable is poor quality and has a dead spot in it... It would only fit if used on the proper hook otherwise it would be too short.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts