Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently noticed a loud "clunk" or "thump" from the rear driver's side area whenever I apply the brakes. The car also seems to jerk forward a bit when this happens. It only happens on and off. Can you guys please help me diagnose this problem? I have no clue as to what it could be.

Thanks!!
Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check your u-joints. Check your torque boxes, LCA bushings, etc. Good luck!!! JC

·
Registered
521 Posts
rear drum brake(s) in need of adjustment

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you've recently done your rear brakes (or had them done), the bar that goes between the shoes could have been re-installed backwards, and this will cause a sound (though more of a heavy "click" sound) when you apply the brakes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a similar problem, it was a slightly twisted torque box on my 87!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also had a similar problem, but it was almost siezed U joints.

This also caused bad vibes at 85MPH (wheras a brake problem wouldn't to help you figure it out)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a similar noise from start it was actually my lower control arms. The noise was a disconcerting thump inetermitantly from accerlation and braking.

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in so you can check it all before tearing into expensive stuff.

triax

·
Registered
639 Posts
On mine it was that dog wish bone thing on the rear end. One of the bushing had gone out so it would thump against the rearend on stops and accelerations. It could be anything you need to pinpoint it a little more. Good Luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
my thump is wierd it only does it when i am at a slight angle(backed into my parking space)and it will do it once and then not anymore (like right when i pull out of the space ) i was told it was a twisted torque box but after seeing all these replys i started thinking it might be something else ---wierd :confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I8URZ28 - I was in the FOrd Dealership 8 times. They welded the frame they checked every moving part they could think of and finally sent me to another dealership. Mechanic ripped out the control arms and the mysterious nthumping went away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts