Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wrestling with what direction to go with on my 79. A clevor has always been my dream build as its unique enough and you can make some serious power fairly easy.
I have a good 351w roller block so a 393 stroker is an option but I would really like to stay 302 based for weight reasons as I still enjoy autocross and track days.
Like everyone else I would like to keep the build within reason so unless I stumble upon a huge bargain it will be stock block based 5.0 but probably a 347 assembly.
A Track Boss alum block would be a true dream come true but that's a ton of coin.
I have a fresh set of 4v closed chamber heads that were almost given to me so that portion is already set.
Any advice on a clevor build from people who have done them?
And yes I am well aware of the benefits of staying all Windsor or a Coyote swap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
finding headers can be a pain.

Fitting the heads is not hard. Finding the correct intake might be but that's been talked about a billion times. My brother's done a 408w with 4v cleveland heads, runs fine, but currently switching to EFI. Now that's an interesting setup. I have convinced him to use his intake and have bungs welded in, then use an elbow or 4150 throttle body. But it's his car, not mine...

Those are really the two biggest hurdles once the short block is addressed. Pistons are different (valve reliefs completely different). 4V heads will move a ton of air through the intake ports; exhaust ports still wheeze but still better than windsor-style exhaust ports. They'll still make good power!

Stick with iron block.

It is not too hard, and has been done, so parts are out there-and the intake, pistons, and headers are the biggest hurdles. Have Ed do the cam and ask him about the flathead firing order.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts