Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
will i have any piston to valve clearance problems with the crane 2031 powermax cam and my basically stock 5.0?

how about clearance problems when i go to 1.7rr?

thanks, jeff.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You should have no problem with stock heads. I have GT40s which have larger valves and have been milled, and I had .125 on intake and not even close on exhaust with 1.72s. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright.. thanks a lot. just checking to be sure i can just throw the cam in there.

what initial timing should i be setting to?

also how will this cam react to my 5.0 with shorty equal length headers, probably underdrives, and ported heads and intake?

thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oh yeah, make sure you have good valve springs to match, the cam has alot of lift. It'll work great with your setup. It's torquey, has a good idle and driveability...nice all around cam. My timing works best at 13 to 14 deg. I lost power on the dyno when I went higher.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
i have the 2030 and i have no problems, they are almost the same cam :confused:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah makes sense, new valve springs

the stock ones will break or what?

where should i get new valve springs from? any performance shop in the city or what?

is there anything to look for in valve springs?

thanks, jeff.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You'll have valve float and you might smack a piston with crummy springs. Go to a speed shop and they can reccomend some, or better yet call Crane for a part number to match the cam.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the 2031 with 1.72 RR's on Thumper heads. Definitely go with heavier springs. Clearance is a non issue. Alot of people want alot more cam, but you made an excellent all around choice to add some zip and maintain drivability

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will it hurt to run the car for 100 miles or so with the stock valve springs on it?

just until i can get new ones and put them on at the same time as when i do work on the heads

jeff

·
Registered
544 Posts
A lot of it depends on how many miles are on your valve springs. A 100 miles isn't much, doesn't sound like it's even worth putting everything back together just to change them withing a hhundred miles. I think you'd be more than Ok with stock springs, that are in good shape, for a short period of time, as long as you don't stress the valve train too much(high rpm racing, etc.).

But if kI where you, I'd wait.

I've got the 2031 with 1.72s, and e-brock heads. I didn't upgrade valve springs, I was hopiing the e-brocks would be good enoguh. I have a set of harder springs though, I'll put them on eventually.

I like the cam, it has decent streat manners, and pulls really well at any rpm range, relatively speaking anyway. You'll like it if your car is street driven.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah the car will be street driven.

what kind of idle will this give my car? pretty much stock, other than some porting going to happen

pretty mean grunt or what?

thanks, jeff.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm getting the feeling you might be a bit like me. I enjoy driving my car everywhere. I'm concerned about driveability and reliability. I'm not willing to sacrfice much of that for power. Although I do try to find the middle ground for it. It has a very nice grunt to it. Good streat manners to boot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the set of springs that came with my 2031 a few years back if you're interested. They've been collecting dust still in the box. e-mail me.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You can also get the cam & spring kit for a decent price as a package. They also add the retainers and keepers, but if you are not running the exhaust valve rotators, you need to get another set of the red locks from Crane. You may also need their 6.375" pushrods as well (I know I did, and had to use both the .030 & .060 shims under each rocker).

I'm running milled E-7's (62cc) with GT-40 valves, Keith Black domed pistons (10.5:1), and have no clearance problems with the 1.7's. It's an aweome cam, you'll love it!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
turns out, i will be running this cam on stock unported heads for this summer.

how will the cam act with stock heads? will there be any performance gains? i have heard a cam with stock heads is pointless?

thanks, jeff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts