Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything you can spray on a old Eldebrock to make it look new. I know some type of media blasting would probably work best. I was thinking maybe some type of wheel cleaner. Thanks
Barryb

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Brake cleaner. It leaves less residue than carb cleaner.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have always soaked the intake in simple green or the like for about 24 hours. Then it is as simple as spraying it with some aluminum engine paint.

·
Registered
420 Posts
For cheap and easy...spray on oven cleaner does a good job. Just spray it, let it soak for a few, then scrub with a scotchbrite (sp) pad.

·
Registered
156 Posts
PPG has a metal cleaner , it's basically an acid but works good , try aluminum wheel cleaner , like hot rims by meguiars. If you want it perfect , you'll have to bead blast it , but then you'd better clear coat it or it'll get dirty just by handling it. I used a duplicolor aluminum engine paint on my intake and after it dried I threw it in the oven at like 120 deg for 10-20 min and it's holding up great !

·
Registered
2006 Ford Mustang GT
2,880 Posts
For cheap and easy...spray on oven cleaner does a good job. Just spray it, let it soak for a few, then scrub with a scotchbrite (sp) pad.
That's what I did to mine. This is how it looked after I'd cleaned it. Notice how much oxidation there is.

It looked much better after I brushed on some heat-resistant aluminium paint. Note the Trick Flow TB adapter elbow.

My Performer intake where it belongs.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i use the purple power cleaner that comes in the gallon jug at the parts store. full strength and let it sit for a little while in the sun then scotch brite it and instant clean.

i painted my edelbrock lower with high temp cast aluminum paint and it looks great.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i would try muriatic acid. stuff is nasty though, try not to breathe it in
works great for cleaning pistons and aluminum heads too...

actually do not put muratic acid on anything aluminum, it'll turn into a puddle of goo.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
thats weird, i wonder why my outdrive on my boat hasnt melted?

its very very very common to clean algae off boats with muriatic acid

i guess get it bead blasted and play it safe

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bead blast it and spray a lite coat of Aluminum engine paint......will look brand new again and keeps the oxidation off.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
i would try muriatic acid. stuff is nasty though, try not to breathe it in
Muratic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) will not work on aluminum. It will actually dissolve it and leave a layer of smut behind.

The best way to chemically clean foundry cast aluminum is to use "witches brew" which is 50% Nitric Acid, 25% Sulfuric Acid, 4-6 oz/gal of fluoride (Ammonium bifluoride will work). Watch out for the red cloud though. In our industry it is known as "acid etch". We also have a milder version called "acikleen" which is buffered with surfactants to keep misting down and consists of nitric, sulfuric, phosphoric and fluoride.

Nothing on the "alkaline" side will remove surface oxides on the aluminum and restore a "like new" finish.....you can get close with 50% NaOH on pure aluminum (2000-6000 series) but caustic negatively reacts with the "other" materials in the alloy (copper, silicon, magnesium, zinc etc. etc. etc.)

More than you needed to know - If you cant get your hands on the chemicals, grab a can of spray paint or call your local metal finisher to see if they would be willing to help you out.

Brandon

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
i just wonder how they use it to clean boats all the time, it must be because its a painted surface. and what about aluminum props?(not that i would ever run one)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Its diluted way down. It will not work on cast aluminum. It will attack all of the other metals/elements in the alloy before it will make it look any better. Foundry cast aluminum is only ~92% aluminum. A380 diecast aluminum is only 87-88% aluminum. A good percentage of the remaining materials is Zinc. In the plating business zinc is effectively stripped using.........hydrochloric acid. Take a zinc plated bolt and drop in a bucket of muratic and see what happens......

·
Registered
109 Posts
+1 on the aluminum paint. I spent a lot of time trying to clean my GT40 lower and it still was splotchy. All it needed was to be cleaned real good with Purple Power and hit with some Duplicolor aluminum engine paint. It looks great and cleans up easily. When I pulled it recently to upgrade the heads I just hosed it off and gave it another light coat of paint and it looks like new again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts