Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this back!! Now its time to get it on the car! I did all the pre-chroming polishing with the exception of the little places that I could not reach with my conventional tools.
Valve covers will be next....:joy:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cost for the finish polishing (in the spots I couldn't get) and chroming was $175. It would have been $250 (I think) if I hadn't done any of the polishing. I'm pleased with it and look forward to getting it on the car!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Holy cow man, that's looks friggin awesome! Any performace gains from it or is it just merely cosmetic!

Looks great!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Wow, looks sweet! :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
wow! That does look sweet. I think I'll do the same thing. Could you go thru the sanding steps real fast. By hand or Dremel? About how many hours? Whatever it was, it looks worth it!
Tom

·
Registered
235 Posts
That looks awesome, and for sure, makes my stock one look sick. :)
However, you do know that chrome retains heat, which might not be a good thing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looks good!! Check out mine!!! I love chrome!! I have not had any heat problems with the chrome. I have been making over 534 rwhp for more than 2 years. Let me know what you think! More pictures on my web site.
www.1bad98.corral.net

·
Registered
577 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
GeoSnake said:
Just got this back!! Now its time to get it on the car! I did all the pre-chroming polishing with the exception of the little places that I could not reach with my conventional tools.
Valve covers will be next....:joy:

Looks very very sweeeet!!!

What's up with your web site?

Ed

·
US Air Force Active Duty
252 Posts
Great looking piece

With chrome valve covers .... you'll need sunglasses to check your oil. :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone above mentioned heat retention.....Jeff Barfield (1BAD98) has had his chroming and never a problem with heat retention. I don't take the car to the dragstrip....just to work every day and to shows. Hopefully no heat-related problems will arise. I'll put up my sanding/polishing steps tonight.

Thanks for all the comments!!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK...I didn't have all the nice things in the link above on polishing. I had simple tools in the garage. I had my electric drill as the main tool. I started with 80 grit flap wheels that attatch to the end of the drill. The flap wheels, small pieces of sand paper connected to a center shaft, can be found in different grits at most hardware stores. I used the 80 to get the initial roughness, then switched to a 120. I went through several of these. I then swithed to a small buffing disc, that attatched to the end of the same drill. I found a gray bar of polishing compound at a local truck stop (a buddy told me about this stuff). The compound was for several types of metal. It was not a finishing compound but smoothed out the scratches made by the 120 grit flap wheel. After that I switched to a new buffing pad and used Mother's aluminum polish to get the surface to a polish ready for chroming. Sound easy....about 10 or so hours invested in the above. It saved me $75 though, and every little bit helps since I'm in the middle of closing on a new house. That's about it though! Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had the intake chromed at Chrome Rite Plating in Fayetteville, North Carolina. I am pleased with the results. They are so backed up that it took about 5 weeks. BTW, I located a second upper intake cover so I could keep driving my car....thanks to Randy and Dan at True Blue Performance. Now I owe them my stock upper piece when I get the chrome one on!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts