Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting some 16x7 Chrome Ponies for my new 89' GT. I know 245/50/16 tires will be fine on the rear, but what do you guys suggest on the front? 225/55/16 or 245/50/16?

Do they make 16x8 Chrome Ponies?

Going from a 65' Mustang to an 89' GT is totally different, so I'll be on the forums asking questions about the 89' since I don't know much about the Fox body stangs.

J.R.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The authentic ponies are all 16x7 regardless of whether they are chrome or painted. If you're looking for quality, I'd stay away from the replicas. As far as tire size, I had 235/55/16 Goodyear Eagle GT II tires on my chrome ponies on my 91GT and they fit great, looked great, and rode much better than the other two tires you mentioned because they had a slightly larger sidewall (which was also good on my car since I didn't have lowering springs). I used the 235/55's all the way around and had no complaints.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i got some 225/50/16s on the front and I don't like the way they fit. It may just be the tire, but i heard 225/55/16s would match up better with the 245/50/16s.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll probably end up going with the 225/55/16s up front and 245/50/16s in the rear. I was just looking at the car yesterday with the stock turbine wheels on there and the 225/60/15s, and I notice there is plenty of room left in the rear for bigger meats.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Of course it all boils down to personal opinion, but I never liked the 245/50/16 on a pony wheel. It looks kind of the same as when people stuff 315/35/17's on a 17x9 Cobra R wheel. Yeah, it fits...but it just doesn't look quite right. The 235/55/16 was a much better fit due to the extra sidewall height.

If you're going strictly for looks, then do whatever floats your boat. But if you're thinking about going with the 245/50 because it's a little wider and you'd like the extra traction, you'll be sorely disappointed. The 235/55 will hook better just because you've got a little extra sidewall to play with, and it's very close in width to the 245/50.

Just some food for thought. Like I said, it all boils down to personal preference, so do whatever floats your boat. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
IMO, my 245/50/16s aren't wide at all. OnceBitten, I think I know what you're talking about. It looks like the tire sidewall has to kinda angle inwards to meet with the lip of the rim. If I had 235/55s, would it be more straight. I like the look of a flat sidewall blocky kinda tires. My 245s are more bubbly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions. I still wondering with the $$$ I would spend on Chrome Ponies, maybe I should just get some Statin finish 17x9 Cobra R wheels. Don't know, but the chrome would definately set off the shiny black paint I have, so I'm still pondering, but Chrome Ponies are still on my list.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
NotoriousGT350: Well, if you go with the R's you'll have to upgrade to 5-lug...unless you go with the 4-lug imitation R's :barf:

If you're not willing to upgrade your rotors and axles, then please, do us all a favor and stick with the Chrome Ponies.

def1eppard: Yeah, they bulge just like you said. The 235/55 is a much better fit and like you said, would be more straight and less bubbly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OnceBitten, I think I'm just going to go with the Ponies. I going to look at a set tonight with tires that a guy is selling for $600. Most like will get them by Friday.

Cool Focker, that is a nice stance and great pic you have. Do you have some Eibach springs on yours?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just went to look at the wheels. I'm going to buy them. They have no curb rash, the tires still have good tread. The tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE900s 245/50R16s on all four wheels. Ponies are in excellent shape and everything is going to cost me $600. So hopefully Friday night I will have some new wheels and tires put on. I know I will be saving me hundreds of dollars, so I'm getting a great deal.

Cool Focker, I'm sorry I notice you have BBK lowering springs. How does your car ride now than before you put the springs on?

·
Registered
686 Posts
NotoriousGT350 said:
Cool Focker, I'm sorry I notice you have BBK lowering springs. How does your car ride now than before you put the springs on?
Well, I've got the BBK specific rate springs on my car, and the drop is perfect to me. They brought the front and rear down nicely. The ride is tight; it rides rougher than the stock springs, but it isn't toooo bad. The handling is far superior to stock. When I did the springs, I put in some cheap KYB GR-2 shocks and struts and the ride isn't terrible, the whole car just feels stiffer.

C. Focker

1 - 16 of 16 Posts