Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car had to get new bearings in the rear.They were gonna install 3.73's but told me I might get a check engine light.Whats up with that?Any of you cats have that problem?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thats a new one to me. I don't think that you'll get a light but they might have meant that your speedo would be off without a compensator and are just telling you that to keep you from doing it.

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Unless they forget to put it back together right(ex. forget to re-attach the drive shaft or reconnect the ABS lines), i don't see how you'll get an SES light.:confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured as much.I'll probably have to get a chip or a power programmer tho,right?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The only way you are going to get a MIL from changing you gears is if THEY screw up your ABS sensors on your rear axles. For the speedo, if you are an auto you will need a chip anyway for the shift points. If you are a manual you can use a chip, electronic adapter, or I guess a power programmer. Dont actually know on the last, maybe someone can post if it will actually recal the Speedo.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Good god. How in the heck would you get a CEL from a gear swap? They'd have to replace the axles with something entirely different.

Yeah, a chip can recalibrate your speedo (300 bucks), or you can get a brother's speedcal for 79 that you install yourself and works perfectly with a manual trans. I think they even have a solution for autos now too.

Take the car somewhere else to hvae the gears installed and don't tell your dealer you did it. They'll never suspect it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah,I think they are doing something behind close doors so that they can install the gear and have it remain under warranty for me.The mechanic was vague in giving me the reasons why he thought it would trip the light,he was basically freestyling with the excuses.But they were going to give me a good deal (gear install,free of charge,all I had to pay for was a discounted price for the gear)and all under warranty.They told me to bring it back in like a month to get it done (why,I don't know),so we'll see...In the meantime,the repaired the rear and put the 3.27's back in.Going to get my x-pipe installed tomorrow (Bassani, no cats).Will it make much of a difference with an otherwise stock car?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
OK, now that's not a bad deal. My dealer did the same thing, except they were a little more upfront about what was going on. The only thing they ever say is "don't worry about a thing as long as you bring the car to us for the work".

Keeps them in cash and keeps me happy. :)

Your X pipe should make a perceptible difference, I would think.

Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts