Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey recently my engine light has been flashing on then off real quick everyday when I'm half way to work going up this big hill. I first thought its just cold outside, or the heater being on caused it, then I remembered a guy telling me that some auto companys rig that light to come on when the car needs a ture-up just to scare the owner. Ok but now its coming on at different times. All my gages look fine, cars runs smooth, just that freakin light Starting to act like my old truck :eek: :eek: Anyone having or had this problem??? Thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about it, but it is the computers telling you that something is out of sync. I bought a cheapo code scanner for 40 bucks from an autoparts store, its money well spent.

·
Registered
348 Posts
When my car throws a check engine light going up a hill, it's usually the EGR valve. Spray some carb or throttle body cleaner on the orange diaphragm in the EGR valve behind the throttle body.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
It's not there to scare you. It's there because something is not correct. Yes it can be something minor or something more of concern that can hurt the way it runs. Don't guess at what may need fixing. Go to the tech section and see the free way to read the codes, buy a cheep reader $30-40 (any auto parts store, wal-mart etc) or if you have an Autozone around, they will read it for free.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I'll those things soon & a code scanner may just be a good investment.:joy:

·
Registered
351 Posts
engine codes

go to the parts store and spend $10 on a haynes manual. this will show you how to get/understand the codes. it also has lots of useful information you can use otherwise. money well spent.

FYI: save the money on the code reader. the haynes manual will show you how to make one with a couple wires and a voltmeter.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Except the code readers are so much easier to use than ****ing around with jumper wires and check-engine lights.

I don't bet but I'd lay money it's a sticky EGR valve evidenced by a code for "EVP out of range".

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I also have this problem. The check engine light flashes real quick once and sometimes flashes again. It doesnt happen every day though. Guess Ill have to buy a scanner too. Im guessing itd fail emmissions right now , seeing check engine usually has something to do with all of that crap :mad:

·
Registered
542 Posts
My light used to do the same thing. The egr valve was fine but I cleaned it. The egr valve postion sensor or evp was shot. This stupid cheap part was causing lots of drivability issues. When the car was cold it ran great then when it warmed up the check engine light would stop but the car seemed like it lost 30 hp. After i replaced the evp the problem stopped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts