Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Wasn't hard Mazza but rather easy. I was impressed on how well it worked. Sure I'd like the real thing but I'm not able to spend that kind of $ for a smoke machine. Keep this thread in mind if you do ever need to fab one up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I agree and it's been sent off for suggestion. My friend used mine on his LT1 Camaro last night and found he had a big leak at his PCV valve grommet. Was causing the engine to run super rich. Already helping people. Hahaha

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a question. Do you think you could use a controlled amount of compressed air rather than a tire inflator? Like if you could keep it to 5 psi or something? Or would you be running the risk of over-pressurizing something and popping a seal somewhere?

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
use your regulator on your tank

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The tire inflator is perfect for the application. It pumps the right amount of air to keep pressure flowing.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Instead of a spark plug boot, can a schrader valve fitting like this be used?

Maybe a barbed hose fitting for the top

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You can use whatever works for you, as long as it keeps air passing through the vacuum line into your intake. That's what's so good about this thread, it's an idea that works but modify it how you see fit. If you can pass smoke through your vacuum system and find a leak, success either way....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Instead of a spark plug boot, can a schrader valve fitting like this be used?

Maybe a barbed hose fitting for the top
So that's exactly what I did!

I went to Wally's world and picked up a hard plastic food canister from the kitchen area that was marketed as "air tight". I then picked up the brass fittings at auto parts store.

Guys I just want to thank you all for this post! I stumbled on it randomly and I have some drivability symptoms that match the OP's perfectly. I created the smoke apparatus, used a tire inflator, used card board as the smoke fuel, connected to brake vacuum line, and found HUGE leak all around the throttle body-EGR-spacer-intake mounting point. I have new gaskets on the way and will update after the install.

I have a video I can upload if anyone wants; not sure how to do it though.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
...Guys I just want to thank you all for this post! I stumbled on it randomly ...
Me too!

I have almost all the parts on hand: large glass jar with metal top, spare Schrader valve (now I know what to do with it). Only need a smaller hose barb, have lots of clear small diameter vinyl hose.

I made a similar device to pressure bleed the brakes. I see no reason to drill a hole in the body of the container, put them both in the cap. If you pressurize the container, the smoke will come out where ever the hole is placed.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Seeing people have success with this is the reason Indy2000 suggested I get it stickied. It's truly the best way to find a vacuum leak and it's so easy and cheap to make.

This really proves a lot of what people experience with driveabilty issues boils down to vacuum leaks most times. Just have to find them.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Here's mine.

Container is plastic, cups are ceramic.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Whatever works. Have you used it yet?...
Couldn't get enough dense smoke with just paper, oil soaked rag made black smoke. Don't have charcoal, use gas grille.

Saw the container dmills4229 used at Walmart, several different sizes. Largest one still under $10.

I have a vacuum gauge in the cockpit, so can tell if I have a leak. Also have a separate vacuum gauge tool for under hood work. I previously tracked down all the small leaks when trying to tune the Megasquirt with MAP sensor. Now it's on MAF, so small leaks are not as big an issue. A real big leak will close the BOV & air flow will increase masking any intake leaks.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Here's mine.....mmm pickles...
Anyways it worked good I used just cardboard but using charcoal/insense with it probably would have made it smolder easier. I used my small compressor that I have for bike tires etc. and put a regulator on it to keep the psi low. Little disappointed I did't find any leaks but I ran smoke through until it started pouring out of my air filter. Simple/cheap and it works!

·
Registered
609 Posts
For those that have done the smoke test,is smoke coming from the EGR valve normal?
The smoke is coming from the small holes around the edge of the valve.

Did a search and it seems this is normal from all the leaking EGR valves out there but thought I would ask here.'
'Thanks.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
When I did mine I didn't have any smoke coming from the egr. I eventually had it get past the t.b. blade and work its way out my air filter.

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
really

you cant'd elastic some saran wrap at the TB to prevent it from coming outa the filter?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts