Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been acting dumb lately. one day it just killed the battery so i replaced it with a new one and now it always has the amp light on and eventually just kills the battery again. i replaced the alternator and that wasnt it. what else is there to do, oh yeah i also replaced the starter selinoid and that didnt help. please give me some expert advise thanks steve

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
you must have a drain somewhere in the electrical system. if you have a multi-meter you can test the amps drawn on the battery when the car is off to see whats pulling the power when it shouldnt be.

have you checked the volts (with a meter) on the battery when the car is running? you should get just above (or about) 14v.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
if the battery was not fully charged when you replaced the alt its probably toasted the alt again. Have the alt checked to be sure. If its not charging then get another one and make sure your battery is fully charged before you hook it up.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok now when i drive it a little while and shut it off, i go to start it and it just clicks 2 times. it also doesnt like to stay running at stop signs and the idling really surges help me

·
Banned
3,821 Posts
Steve,check the alt. to make sure it is charging and check the battery too.If they are good check for a drain with the car off.If all is good and you don't have a drain,the large plug that plugs into your alt. might be bad.I would put a new one on anyway if you haven't replaced it already.My friends car wouldn't charge and that fixed it.Another friend of mine had one start to melt because it was a loose connection.A new plug also fixed that one.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my plug melted a little bit, that must be it, but will that help with the clicking at start up. when it doesnt start
thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts