Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I noticed that our cars do not have wires. Does anything else need to get replaced then?

2. Does anyone have instructions on how to change the plugs. I just got some NGK TR55's, popped the hood, went to change then yesterday and did not know how to get to the existing plugs.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The plugs are underneath the coils (little round things that have Motorcraft on them).

You will need a 7mm wrench or socket (I say socket) and take out the retaining bolt. Unplug the coil and pull back and out. It's long, so don't freak. The whole boot is rubber, so it will bend. Use an air compressor and blow out any dirt in the hole before removing the plug. Then use a 5/8's spark plug socket and an extension (preferably a wobble extension from Harbor Freight) to remove them. Before you put the new plugs in, put some anti-seize compound on the threads. Then tighten them down snug and place the coil back on.

Here's a tip. If you end up buying the wobble socket extensions from Harbor Freight (which is highly recommended), take some electrical tape and tape the socket to the extension. Mine kept getting stuck on the plug and would come off the extension. Taped down it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps.

http://www.harborfreight.com is their address. Do a search for wobble.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Spreadman said:
...Then use a 5/8's spark plug socket and an extension (preferably a wobble extension from Harbor Freight) ....
....If you end up buying the wobble socket extensions from Harbor Freight (which is highly recommended)....http://www.harborfreight.com is their address. Do a search for wobble.
Spreadman, you don't happen to work for Harbor Freight do you?
:evil:
j/k thanx for the info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have a 2000 Silver GT, what is the actual part number for those NGKTR55 plugs? And how many miles do you have on your GT. I've got 23000, should I change them yet?
Neil

·
Registered
406 Posts
The actual part # for the NGK TR55s is 3951. You could just ask for a set of NGKs for a '94 4.6L TBird. Ford was still recommending copper plugs in '94 for the 4.6L.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Custom2kGt said:

Spreadman, you don't happen to work for Harbor Freight do you?
:evil:
j/k thanx for the info.
LOL! I wish. I am just suprised at how well my extensions are holding up. I use an impact gun on them and they work great. Not bad for only $10 for a set of 9!!!

Harbor Freight rocks!

(disclaimer) I use nothing but Craftsmen hand tools and love them. Their durability and warranty are hard to beat for the price. Sears just doesn't make a wobble socket extension, and Snap-On does, but it's $140 for the set. $10 sounded way more reasonable to me).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts