Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for me to change from the seperate 2 peice head units to a Aftermarket head uniot and still use all amps and speakers in the mach 460 system?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes. You just need the correct wiring harness. Should be able to get at anyplace that sells/installs car audio.

Vince

·
Registered
67 Posts
Best place to purchase the wire harness is Wal-mart. If you go to any stereo place they will most likely charge you around $25-40. You can get the wire harness at Wal-mart for around $8. Just make sure it says on the package "works with factory amplifier". I just installed radio in my brothers stang.:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
They charged me $10-$12 for mine at Circuit City. I would much rather get my car audio stuff there than Wal-Mart(no offense meant).

Vince

·
Registered
67 Posts
No offense taken. Your circuit city must have different prices than the one here. Or maybe the prices have dropped recently. When I check w/ Circuit City they told me I believe right around $30 for the wire harness. Also who cares if you buy a wire harness from Wally mart than Circuit city if they both work. You will most likely save money from Wally world and they are located everywhere and there return policy is 10 times better. Dont have stock in wal-mart just dont get into this place is better than this place stuff. I will recommend Circuit city if you have no idea how to install stereo stuff. Best buy is better though!:joy:

·
Registered
220 Posts
As I think about it, Circuit City had 2 harnesses that would work. An inexpensive one and another that was $25-$30. The inexpensive one worked fine so I went with it. And you are right, it doesn't matter where you get it as long as it works;) .

Vince

·
Registered
30 Posts
I need some help with my stereo install, its a mach 460 and I bought the harness from circuit city and just matched color for color but my problem is that im getting sound on only the driver side and when I use the balance its only switching front to back on the drivers side. I was told it should work fine with that harness but is there something im missing here. I'm pretty inexperienced with this stuff so it could be something small, let me know if anyone knows what could be wrong.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try switching the wires from your head unit to the passenger side from the drivers side. This will tell you if the amp on the passenger side is blown, speakers blown ect. If the speakers then do work on the passenger side it is not the wiring or the car system but your head unit. Hope this did not confuse you. my .02! :joy:

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Does the wiring harness yall are talking about connect the wiring from the factory CD player to the wiring that ran to the factory head unit? It seems that somehow the amp feeds through the CD player to get to the head unit? I can unplug either of the plugs on the factory CD player and it kills the sound?

·
Registered
86 Posts
you need to have the line convertor that powers the amps when the radio or CD is playing...it has loudness adjustment screws and make a HUGE difference in sound quality. Ask your radio shop at Circuit City or call Crutchfield. I ordered my radio, harness and convertor from Crutchfield and the install was easy and the system sounds 10x's better with a different head unit.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
on the same subject, just wondering, I had a scosche convertor and plugged-in my JVC unit and it produced very crisp mids and highs, but the bass was horrible compared to the OEM unit. The OEM mach had a deep bass w/slight surround effect to make you feel the bass. I adjusted the scosche unit w/the JVC 100 times over and never could get the same bass effect, things just got distorted or to soft (it was a JVC w/BBE-II, no mega bass). I switched back to the OEM head unit, though I heard that 94-5's had a slightly different bass curve (more boom) than the 96+'s (less boomy, deep).

Anyone have similar experiences where the aftermarket unit sounded worse than the oem w/the mach amps?

--C

·
Registered
329 Posts
OK, I'm a bit confused about what is needed to replace the HU only in a MACH system. I have the 460 in my '02 and will probably be adding an Alpine 7897. Is it as simple as the right wiring harness adapter or is there more involved here due to the factory amps.
Crutchfield says to replace the HU on a MACH, you have to replace the factory amps as well.
Thanks for the help, I want to have it figured out before I take it apart.

·
Registered
178 Posts
ok, i worked at circuit city or a little over three years. i was an installer and a sales person. the only thing you will need is the right harness. there are about three different harnesses for a ford. the best thing to do if you are doing it yourself is to pull the stereo out, take it up to the nearest shop, i would say either C.C. or best buy. and show them what plug it will be. C.C. has two plugs they use to install. one plugs into your car w/ a universal plug on the other end, then the other plug plugs into your stereo w/ the other end plugging into the universal plug. you wouldn't use the one that actually comes with the stereo. this just cuts down on the amount of cutting and connecting having to be done. no cremping or anything.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You better get the line convertor that powers the amps or you're not going to get a very good sound. If you search the archives you'll see there are two ways to do it. Either splicing some RCA jacks into the harness to hookup to the preamps on the new radio or getting the line convertor which usually has three adjustments on it to fine tune the loudness of the amps when the new radio is on. CC, Best Buy, Crutchfield, etc sell the convertors. You'll need it plus the wiring harness. It's simple, takes about 10 minutes and you'll be a happy person. My Mach 460 sounds 5 times better than the stock unit and all I did was change the headunit with the convertor.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I didn't use a convertor and the sound is perfect. The only time you really need a convertor is if your new head unit only has speaker level outputs, since the factory amps are pre-amp level. Do a search in the audio forum for my username and you will see how I did mine, It's perfect and much cheaper than using that convertor that you don't need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey snapshot,

yours is an '02, right? is it the 6-disc changer unit? if it has the BUILT IN AMP in the HU then your gonna need a lot more than just an adapter... your gonna need a whole new install! wires, amps, etc...

just a heads up, man!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts