Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
A chip is the only way to correct an Auto for 3.73's. The list of people who can do it is long. Might want to try a seach and start calling around for the person you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I used fordchip.com to do mine and they also did some timing adjustments and a/f adjustments also for some extra ponies among other things while they wree correcting the speedo also. Basically if you have to chip get the most out if it while they are burning it there are a lot of things you can change and I have heard good things about there tunes. Will let you know for sure Monday thats when the gears are going in and the chip

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
chipcecil said:
:confused: I am changing for 3.23 to 3.73 in a 2001 GT automatic, how do I set the speedometer?
Dallas Mustang sells a little box called a SpeedCal. I just ordered one. It can be tuned for your gear, and tire size and will simply plug into your speed sensor. Best of all, if have two sets of wheels, you can keep changing it as needed. It is alot cheaper than a chip at only $99. I'll let you know how it works out when I get it in.:cool:

·
Registered
729 Posts
true I hav ethe speedcal also but it will not correct the shift points in your tranny you need the chip anyway so get the speedo and the tranny shift points done on the chip and you will not need the speedcal if you get the speedcal you will still need the chip or your car will hit the rev limiter when shifting at WOT(ouch). I have a 96 and they cannot do the speedo with the chip so I had to get the chip and the speedcal they will both be installed next monday with the gears

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since you're in 99+ Automatic, the Speed Cal will not work. It is for the 5spds only (for the 99+). You'll need a chip (as stated above) or a Hypertech Reprogrammer.

If you plan to get a chip, you have 2 choices:
1 - get a chip burnt to match your current mods (you should, of course, do all your mods first to save $$$ on getting it reburnt).
2 - Get a customizable chip that can be tweaked as you go along with the mods. I'm going with the Tweecer RT chip (www.tweecer.com), which rubs a pretty penny ($550), but there's also another Tweecer one with less features ($380).

I just got my 4.10s (it's the way to go with our Automatics, BTW) and it is SOYP, especially after the stock 3.27s. My Speedo is off (showing 38=doing 30; 63=50; 81=65). For shifting, WOT 1-2 tires bark (and I slide a little), 2-3 tickles rev limiter. When I get the Tweecer chip (not till at least April), it will resolve those issues and more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts