Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any special tools or precautions I should take? I just want to avoid wasting time cause im changing my Trans oil as well. Anyone know the size of the fill/drain plugs on the T-5? I want to buy a small hose to pour the new trans oil back in.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Fuel filter is easy. First make sure there is no line pressure. Just stab a small scredriver or such into the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail and release any line pressure. Hold a rag around it.

Then just jack up the rear and it is located right behing the fuel tank. There is a bracket that it is mounted in. I remove one of the mounting bolts to the bracket will swivel. Loosen the strap clamp that holds it in the braket. There is a plastic clip that attached the line to each end of the filter. Just pop them off and pull the lines. You should not lay directly under it as it will leak fuel when you pull the lines. Put the old filter into a coffee can or something as it will be full of fuel. Install the new one and hook the lines back up using the new clips. Then tighten everything back up and you are done.

When changin trans fluid, I would just get one of those inexpensive pumps from the auto parts store that fits the fluid bottle you are using. I keep several for different kinds of lubes. Then you just stick the end in the filler hole and pump away.

·
Registered
605 Posts
No real reason to change from the factory recomended ATF IMHO.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Fuel filter was easy. As for the Trans fluid, I just use a hose to feed the Royal Purple fluid from the engine compartment. I also jacked up the from the front and back until I got the car even up in the air, just to make sure that I was not going to overfill the trans. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Duh...I just noticed you were talking automatic and I was thinking in manual mode. Musti81 is correct.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Fuel Filter

I have changed mine a few times, it is really easy.. The hardest part for me is remembering where it is, because I swear the damn thing hides from me..

When I have done this I start up the car, and then in the trunk lightly tap on the fuel pump cutoff.. It will click because it thinks you have been in a collision and cuts the fuel pump off. Then I just let the car die.. I usually still get a little spray when I disconnect the line from the filter but it's not much.

With the plastic clips removing the old one and installing the new one is simple, if you got new clips with the new filter you can just break the old ones. Just be careful, you are holding a fuel line :p

This reminds me.. It's probably about time I changed mine again..

Once your all done just press the reset on the dise of the cutoff switch to re-engage your fuel pump.. Not sure if this is an endorsed method, but it's the way I was always taught.. So if it is wrong or you can somehow damage anything doing it this way someone let me know :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
There is a plug in the trunk you can un-plug to shut off fuel pressure... no need to stick a screw driver anywhere... unplug.. swap filters (basic as basic gets) and then replug.

Just make sure you have new clips for the filter, I was unable to get mine off without them breaking. most filters come with them anyway..

·
Registered
605 Posts
Even if you unplug the pump there is still residual pressure in the lines. This is why you use the schrader valve to release it. Unplugging the pump does not do this.

·
Registered
713 Posts
worked fine for me.. just had to have a rag soad up the tiny drip that came from the fuel that was already in the lines. all chiltons says is to unplug the plug in teh trunk.. but im sure there are more then one way!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Yeah worked here I just let the car run until it died.. There was still some pressure but it's not too bad.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just let the car sit overnight...no need to unplug anything or mess with the schrader valve.

otherwise if you follow TJ's write up you'll be done in no time...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts