Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only ask because I was looking through the MustangWorld catalog and it says for the T-5:

Installation of the speedometer "drive" and "driven" gears listed below will provide approximate MPH readings for the indicated axle ratios for both 7.5" and 8.8" axles in conjunction w/ T-5 transmission and P225/60VR15 tires.

Since I'm going to go with 4.10s it lists a 6 tooth transmission gear (black) and a 20 tooth speedo gear (black). It also lists a 7 tooth transmission gear (yellow) with a 23 tooth speedo gear (no color) with a notation next to the 23 tooth gear that says "Used in most vehicles w/ V8 an T-5 from 83-89 and 96-98 Cobras w/ T-45".

I thought I read somewhere else you only needed to change the gear that sits on the end of the speedo cable as it goes into the transmission. Needless to say, the MW catalog has confused me as to what I need to swap out when I go to 4.10s. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I thought the 89 had a 7 tooth. You need both sometimes for accuracy. I changed both for 3.73's on a 90. Its easier to pull the speedo and take it to the speedo chop to change the calibration(clockspring).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe that's what they're talking about when they mean stock from the factory. There is no part # next to the 7 tooth yellow, so I guess I only need the 23 tooth speedo "driven" gear. Looks like they marked the wrong gear as being factory :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts