Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, is the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch good for 7000 rpm shifts?

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,242 Posts
Wish I could help, never shifted mine higher than 6k, and it was always the TKO Tremec that said "no dice" on high RPM shifts.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I could help, never shifted mine higher than 6k, and it was always the TKO Tremec that said "no dice" on high RPM shifts.
We've been using a "Z" T-5 but are now installing a Liberty Faceplated TKO600. Went with Faceplating because everyone said high rpms shifts were terrible with the TKO's.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
We've been using a "Z" T-5 but are now installing a Liberty Faceplated TKO600. Went with Faceplating because everyone said high rpms shifts were terrible with the TKO's.
Yeah, fellow Corraler I sold my 3550 to faceplated it to fix the shifting issue. Well, or invest in the new TKX which seems aimed at fixing the high RPM shift issues common to Tremec transmissions for decades.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, fellow Corraler I sold my 3550 to faceplated it to fix the shifting issue. Well, or invest in the new TKX which seems aimed at fixing the high RPM shift issues common to Tremec transmissions for decades.
I havn't seen much feedback yet on the TKX. I'm surprised that on the Tremec videos on the TKX I've never heard them say it is great for drag racing, they talk about muscle cars, and street rods etc.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I havn't seen much feedback yet on the TKX. I'm surprised that on the Tremec videos on the TKX I've never heard them say it is great for drag racing, they talk about muscle cars, and street rods etc.
Their website swag:
TREMEC is pleased to announce the release of the new TKX, a 5-speed RWD manual transmission developed solely for the aftermarket.
For the development of the new transmission, TREMEC engineers took a forward-looking approach to finding the best and most efficient solution. This included universal packaging, excellent shifting performance, and extreme durability.
The end result is superior shift-ability with smooth shifts at high RPMs through the use of multi-cone synchronizers and hybrid synchronizer rings. At the same time, noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) performance is optimized with a gear layout to best control stress levels, while providing structural stiffness with a ribbed, 3-piece aluminum housing. Durability is further optimized with oversized gear widths, gaskets at all flanges and caged needle bearings in all gear positions.

Reactions: XSPOWER

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Donnie Walsh got me one, and its going into my new notch. Getting ready to put the provisional engine in it while I wait on my Greg Brown heads.
He says he doesn't hesitate putting it into the car, and it will make LOTS of power.....

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yes, they are easily my favorite clutches overall compared to the many clutches i've used in my 3 different Mustangs and my WRX. After my aftermarket Exedy clutch started slipping after only 20k miles on it, I started thinking about what to replace it with and I automatically thought of Centerforce. Nothing beats the pedal feel, engagement point, durability, and quality of a Centerforce clutch. Unfortunately they didn't make one for a 2011+ WRX/STi. I had one in my 99 GT with a Vortech and turbo and it held up perfectly. I'll probably end up installing a Centerforce in my 86 GT once my King Cobra starts to slip.

·
Banned
4,426 Posts
Donnie Walsh got me one, and its going into my new notch. Getting ready to put the provisional engine in it while I wait on my Greg Brown heads.
He says he doesn't hesitate putting it into the car, and it will make LOTS of power.....
You're doing hammerhead motor? What ci?

I'm getting excited!

Oh...when you see Greg.....steal his truck and bring it here please.

·
Banned
4,426 Posts
Yes, they are easily my favorite clutches overall compared to the many clutches i've used in my 3 different Mustangs and my WRX. After my aftermarket Exedy clutch started slipping after only 20k miles on it, I started thinking about what to replace it with and I automatically thought of Centerforce. Nothing beats the pedal feel, engagement point, durability, and quality of a Centerforce clutch. Unfortunately they didn't make one for a 2011+ WRX/STi. I had one in my 99 GT with a Vortech and turbo and it held up perfectly. I'll probably end up installing a Centerforce in my 86 GT once my King Cobra starts to slip.
Only issue we ever had with it wasn't the tranny's fault. Use it with a 10 lb Fidenza and you have to learn to drive all over again.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I’m using a spec 2+ 10.5 shifting at 7300.

Reactions: Cougar5.O

·
Old timer
6,411 Posts
I believe Gene Hindman used to shift his Centerforce clutch assembly around 8500 or so... ;)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You're doing hammerhead motor? What ci?

I'm getting excited!

Oh...when you see Greg.....steal his truck and bring it here please.
Yes. If I can get the parts. Everything is taking forever. Size is somewhere 440 ish. No block yet, because we cant be sure on the pistons because we are not sure on the exact size of the chamber because its a new CNC program and special valves.....etc etc etc...

I am waiting on my billet specialties wheels, been three months and no end in sight. Flaming River steering rack, same thing but six months. I went with a max motorsports K member (because I will drive it) and some of his parts took five months. This car is taking forever.

I have not met Greg in person. However, if he doesn't make good on my heads, I will...... :)

·
Banned
4,426 Posts
Yes. If I can get the parts. Everything is taking forever. Size is somewhere 440 ish. No block yet, because we cant be sure on the pistons because we are not sure on the exact size of the chamber because its a new CNC program and special valves.....etc etc etc...

I am waiting on my billet specialties wheels, been three months and no end in sight. Flaming River steering rack, same thing but six months. I went with a max motorsports K member (because I will drive it) and some of his parts took five months. This car is taking forever.

I have not met Greg in person. However, if he doesn't make good on my heads, I will...... :)
Greg is a good guy.

I ordered a set of FE main bearings last month and King told be they'd be back in stock in 2025.

Honestly, I can't get pretty much anything from pretty much anyone.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Its happening in my helicopter and turbine engine world as well as my experience in the car hobby place. Waiting for the check for payment from whatever government on some work you did on their equipment? Good luck. We had to cut one of the larger city's off. You can only live on a small companies tab with good credit for so long.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts